Minn Kota Electric Troll Motor

harleytio

Cadet
I bought a new Minn Kota 50lb thrust electric trolling motor 3mths ago and the left on a trip-while I was away the main pin that holds the power head to the boat bracket slipped out at least 4 times--also I can only get about 2 hours of trolling time from a fully charged 12 volt deep cycle battery--I have emailed Minn Kota twice about the problems and they have not got back to me--any suggestions would relly be appreciated--Thanks--

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Minn Kota Electric Troll Motor

i thought those pins had keepers on them maybe minnkota forgot to install them? maybe you can get a parts breakdown from interent.as for trolling time i had a 12 volt system and i dould not troll very long with it either.maybe you have a bad battery.gharge battery good take to wal mart or auto zone have battery checked.thats bad that minnkota won't help you.iv'e heard that about them doing that before.remember when customer was #1 that don't happen anymore.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't say which model you have, but I run a 55 PowerDrive and fish all day on a single 12V deep cycle. The PD has the maximizer electronics which extends battery life considerably. If yours does not have that feature, and/or if you have a small deep cycle, battery life will be short. But two hours seems too little time regardless of battery size.

harleytio

Cadet

Thank You for the replies so far-I did check the slipping pin for a slot to install keepers-there are no groves-maybe they put in a wrong pin-the battery that I am useing is the largest deep cycle battery that Costco sells- It is to bad that Minn Kota has not responded to my messages

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Although I have a smaller (and older) Minn Kota than you, I too think there is a keeper on the pin you refer to. (on mine, it's a bolt).<br /><br />Also, I've had nothing but the best possible suppport from Minn Kota. They answer my emails, are very helpful by telephone and just yesterday went the "extra mile" to get me an updated wiring diagram.<br /><br />They do have a toll free number, so I can only suggest calling them. I'm sure Brenda or Barb will help you all they can.

harleytio

Cadet

Thank You to the people that tried to help me with my problem-as of Oct 27 Minn Kota still has not seen fit to reply to my now 3 emails-so I phoned Wal Mart where I bought the motor and told them of my problem-they asked me to bring the motor back to them which I did this morning and they gave me a full cash refund-It seems a shame that Minn Kota would not even respond to me and yet Wal Mart is so interested in keeping there customers happy that they bent over backwards to make me happy-by the way I bought the motor 3 months and 12 days ago-I will not shop anywhere else now-in closeing I would like to add that after 3 emails to Minn Kota I would not take the time to phone them-I do believe that they do need a review of there customer service--Sincerly--Harley--

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To bad you are the exception to the excellent service they give me when I call about other peoples motor problems. Bad luck.

harleytio

Cadet

It does seem a shame that my requests have not been answered with a reply--I am retired and spend a good portion of the year at lakes in the interior of British Columbia--just about everyone with a boat has a Minn Kota motor on it and I have never heard any bad comments--BUT--now the stories around the camp fire will have a new twist--I did try--BUT--every story does have two sides to it!!

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

im glad wal mart helped you i dont think i will look at any minn kota products.maybe try motor guide?i had an old motorguide trolling off a 1980 model boat still works good.

harleytio

Cadet

Something that I had forgot to add-since my last post I went to the warranty center for Minn Kota motors and asked about the pin that kept slipping out of position on my motor-the new motors do not have bolts or keepers on the pin-They are quite a long pin that has fins on the centre section and are driven in by force-actually I was shown one that was taken apart-I was told that it was virtually not possible for the pin to slip out without considerable force-the problem is-mine did at least 4 times-this is only a information statement that may help someone in the future-also-I have since taken the motor back to Wal Mart where I bought it-they gave me back the full cash purchase price-End of problem-Thanks for your ideas!!