wiring dual batteries

goose70

Cadet
I'm replacing my batteries and would like to purchase one deep cycle and one hybrid deep cycle/starting battery. Both would be connected via battery switch. My question is whether I can do this with two different types of batteries, or whether both must be hybrid, or both deep cycle (I'm thinking especially of those situations when I turn the battery switch to "both.")<br /><br />Thanks.

cbcrawford

Seaman
Re: wiring dual batteries

Sure they can be different . . . You really should only have it swithced to both when you are charging both or are having a problem . . . you are correct that mismatched batteries USED together will degrade more quickly, and will almost immediately revert to the level of the lower, but in the situation you describe you should have no problem.<br /><br />My setup is a dual cycle for starting and minor accessories, an isolated trolling battery, and a spare deep cycle that is only hooked to the on-board charger. Preferably I'd have a 24V trolling motor, but $$$ rules the day.<br /><br />Remember that the drawback to a Hybrd is it's not as good at starting as a pure starter, and it's not as good at long charges as a pure deep cycle . . . I use the dual because I finaly have a boat that starts easy (no strain on the battery to start (as I knock on wood)), and I like to run my accessories seperate from my trolling motor (personal preference, no real reason for it)