VHF - West Marine VHF600 (Uniden)

jstillw

Cadet
Just purchased the VHF600 and Galaxy 5225-XT antenna.<br /><br />Having problems with reception. When I turn on the unit it receives perfect for about 5 minutes and then cuts out. Lights are all on. Squelch will go to static (noise) and then I can back it off.<br /><br />This happens every time. Apprx 5 minutes into it being ON I lose signal. Mainly tested on Weather Channel. <br /><br />I have the unit connected to my GPS (shows location), unit breathes well (not cramped), PL-259 seems to be connected well (not sure how to test other that the fact I get great reception for 5 minutes).

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: VHF - West Marine VHF600 (Uniden)

Sounds like it is faulty.

jstillw

Cadet

West Marine is replacing the unit... <br /><br />Will post a follow up shortly.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

I have the unit connected to my GPS ...<br /><br />Had the same thing with a Standard Horizon Intrepid+ after a couple of months of flawless ops. Disconnectd the GPS and the radio hasn't burped since. ;)

18rabbit

Captain

Stilly - I believe WM will take either radio back and refund your money. If you are open to the idea, getting an Icom M302 or M402 would be a good idea, or a Std Horz model similar to either of those Icoms. Both Icom and Std Horz have always scored high when VHF radios are evaluated.

jstillw

Cadet

West Marine gave me a new VHF600.<br /><br />So far no trouble at all.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.