Battery bulging?

ZmOz

Captain
Right now in my boat I'm using the battery that came with my truck when I bought it. Obviously I do not know the history of the battery. It's an Exide, and the sticker on the side says it was made Nov. 2003. Today I noticed that both ends of the battery seem to be bulging out just a little. The battery still works great to start my truck and boat. What would cause this bulging?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery bulging?

Just like our waistline that tends to bulge with age, batteries do the same. I've had several, that over time, bulged at the ends but never at the longer sides. Don't know why, but this was always a precursor to eventual battery failure. My suggestion would be to start looking for a replacement. I now replace my marine starting batteries every three years whether they need it or not.

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you might want to get rid of that battery.You are messing with Hydrogen.that bulge could be gasses trying to get out.That stuff will light up quicker then gasoline fumes.If its enclosed(mine is)you could have some trouble.

LubeDude

Admiral

:p Build a clamp assy with all thread, drill holes in the ends of two 2 X 4s and put washers and nuts on each end. Screw the ends together to push the ends of the battery back into shape. Istall this into an inclosed compartment of your boat, :p By the way, I have taken out an insurance policy on you!<br /><br /> This is a Joke, do not actually do any of the above!