Tach on pontoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

parratt1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello fellas,<br />I have a 25' tracker pontoon. I have noticed that my tach is not working properly on my boat. I noticed that when I am in rough water my tach jumps all over the place sometimes. So then I also figured out that if you tapped the front of the tach (plastic bubble cover)the tach will jump from wherever it is up about 2000 RPM.Basically I can make the tach needle move up or down by tapping it. A boat mech said that there were a couple of screws on the back of the tach that needed to be tightened. Anybody have any ideas why it would do this?Loose connection? Faulty tach? <br />Any ideas? On how to fix?<br />Jeremy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tach on pontoon

Why not wiggle under the console and tighten the connections and the mounting on the tach. This will prevent a needlessly long thread about "what might be wrong". Eliminate the obvious as a first step. There are only four connections. 1) 12V, 2) ground, 3) sense, and 4) light. Post back if this doesn't fix the problem.

parratt1

Seaman Apprentice

Well my boat is kept about a 45 minute drive away at the lake. I figured maybe I could get a few ideas from people and have a few things to try before I went up there. Beings it is so far away it is kinda hard to try something, come back, ask, drive, try something else, come back, ask..............<br />Sorry but I thought that was what these forums were for. Asking questions. I guess maybe I was wrong there and me more careful about what I don't know. Sorry for taking up your time.<br />Jeremy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Geez -- sorry! You didn't say your boat is 45 miles away! Again we get half the story and then get grumbled at when the rest of it comes out. Weren't you at the boat when you noticed the gauges weren't working correctly? Seemed like that would have been a good time to at least take a peak. You could have then said I checked and the connections are clean and tight. An intermittent gauge(s) problem that otherwise work ok, usually points to a simple "loose" or "corrosion" problem.

Onja

Recruit
I use my phone on forums so have it handy when problems arise.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Onja, this topic is nearly 10yrs old, please.refrain from posting to inactive topics.

After no activity by the original poster for 90days, inactive topics should be treated like library books: for reference only and not to be written in. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.