trolling motor cable extension

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 14' fishing boat and a 22' hurricane deck boat I want to buy a bow mount electric trolling motor that can be used for both with enough tthrust for the 22'. my problem is the foot controll cable are to short. do they sell extensions or can make up something yourself. I heard to many sad stories about the electronic ones.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling motor cable extension

Power Drive motors like MinnKota have a long cable that could easily have a piece spliced in if its not long enough. I think the problems you are hearing about are with the wireless (RF) controlled units. I've used cable, power, and RF controlled motors and would not personally own an RF. They are slow to react and its just one more thing to worry about batteries for. Cable steer or power drive (wired) are probably your only choices. I've not seen extension kits for cable steer motors. Looks like a PowerDrive is your only practical choice. I currently use a 55PD. It gets worked hard and has not been a problem. Easily removed as well if you mount it on a slide bracket.