Gutting a gifted boat....help!

franDar

Recruit
Just got a boat given to me. Is a 1971 or '72 Chrysler Sport Satellite. Needs some work. Am interested in removing and replacing the plywood flooring. It appears to be sealed to the walls of the boat with some sort of sealant. Almost looks like fiberglass, but due to the age of the material i cant really tell. I am wondering what i am about to get myself into and what i might expect when i start to remove the plywood decking. Any, absolutely any, info i might be able to get here would be GREATLY appreciated. This is my very first question, in a project which i am trying for the very first time. My entire learing curve lies ahead of me, but i am really eager and willing to get started.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Frank

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gutting a gifted boat....help!

Frank,<br /><br />Use the search feature and search for "replacing floors" and the like. You will get tons of info. <br /><br />Good luck!<br />Mark

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Hitting the search is a great place to start and you will find more there than you will probably care to read in one setting. Often when you have rot in the floor you will also have rotten stringers and in the plywood core of the transom. The fix is to rip it all out and redo from the bare interior. It is a fir size job but one that most driveway mechanics are capable of.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

One way to narrow your search is to search in the Project Boats forum on this site. I recently read a web site by a guy who did a major rebuild/remodel of a boat - changed it from a bowrider to a real nice looking center console. Of course, floor work while at it. Look at his project: http://70silverline.250free.com/silverline.html <br /><br />Don't get freaked out by the entire project, but focus in on the floor parts. But it is a terrific and inspirational project!