whats needed to test boat without ticket

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
july 4th was given a boat that has set up for three years. although my address here says ohio, i've move back here to georgia. never owned a boat so i want to register it with DNR. went on there websight and it says that i can fill out a form and use it as a temporary. but this boat was never registered here. it slill has tennessee #s on the boat. does anyone know if the temp card still applys. it seems like so much to just get the boat in the water. while in ohio my buddy went to tag office and recieved his tag and registered boat all in one day and we went fishing. i've got this thing running and really just want to take it to a boat ramp and try it out. i've also heard from a guy that says i have to take a boat test of some kind. but have found no proof yet to back this up. also cant find a list of items required by law to have on boat if stopped. any help concerning these issues will greatly be appreciated.

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: whats needed to test boat without ticket

got no reply so i started searching and found some info. but wondering about the wrist lanyard. my boat only has a key. i dont know of any type of lanyard. where and how does this work?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I'd be willing to bet that you'd have to have the old tennessee title and/or registration and perhaps even a bill of sale from the previous owner to register and/or title the boat in Georgia...<br /><br />Best thing to do is get on the phone to the DNR and ask the questions you have asked here... Be polite and explain the situation... I'm sure they would point you in the right direction... <br /><br />According to this page http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=39 , your not required to have a saftey kill switch or wrist lanyard on anything other than a personal watercraft/jet ski...

f_inscreenname

Commander

Most states now have if you are under a certain age or born after a certain date you will have to take a boating safety course before you would be able to operate a boat. Most are only a couple hours and many have said they have learned something. I hope you are young enough to have to take it, not being mean. First boat, used, been sitting for years, you are going to need the youth just to keep up with it.

Vdub144

Seaman Apprentice

The forms and good advice is usually available at any nearby marina. And near just about any body of water (and even in the middle of nowhere in some places) there should be a couple. They will also usually "look over" your boat and things like what you mention for the lanyard, etc. for local and state laws. (They do this for free because they will sell you things like covered battery boxes and fire extinguishers when you do not have them... But don't expect them to do anything "in-depth!")<br /><br />Here, both the local town and the county sherrif have patrols on our lake. The DNR also comes out on holidays. You can stop at whomever has local jurisdiction over your lake, and just ask them to look things over. They regularly stop folks on the water and do this - and if they stop you there, you will get a ticket for not having preservers, horn, etc. At least by stopping by the sherrif's office, you'll have time to fix your problem, and if you actually talk to the boat patrol officers, they will recognize you out on water and are less likely to stop you (unless you're doing something really dumb.)<br /><br />Also listed the DNR is usually very helpful. Here in WI, the woman talked to me on the phone about the advantages and disadvantages of Fleet registration for about 20 minutes, even though I had enough boats to qualify, it isn't always the best solution...<br /><br />And, I guess it should be mentioned, boating is EXPENSIVE. Even when the boat is free. Between registration, fuel, equipment and maintenence - plus launch fees and toys, make sure you're really committed to this. <br /><br />I say this because you seem rather exasperated at some minor things - like registration. And say you just want to get out there... This year I rescued three people like you from going over the dam near a public launch near me. I regularly write down numbers and call the police on people who speed through the no-wake zone in front of my house (daily).<br /><br />Your first time out, go out with someone who is very familar with boating and knows the laws and also the 'etiquitte' for being out on the water. If in doubt, slow down, stay away - err on the side of caution. Each year, someone is killed here when a ski boat doesn't slow down and runs over another fallen skiier, a jet ski hits a pier, or (my favorite since it happens all the time in my front yard) an overloaded pontoon at full blast (in the no wake zone) slams into the rocks that hold the sand bar together, and everyone on the boat falls down...<br /><br />Be safe.<br />-V

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

first of all the lanyard they are talking about is a emergency kill switch, if the boat and motor you have is a old one it dosn't have one, you need one preserver for each person in the boat, and a throw cushion, a horn or whistle, look at the us coast guard site and it will tell you everything you need to know, you still need to contact the state you live in and make sure they don't require something extra, those tickets arn't cheap they can range from $25 to $250 each depending on how the lake patrol happens to feel so it's better to be safe than poorer.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey gregs,<br />yes, as long as you have the required equipment on board and have the temporary permit (and preferably a bill of sale or the old registration or both), you should be fine on GA waters. here is no test required, nor do you need the lanyard kill switch. I had to register two boats here and when they say it will take up to 60 days, they aren't kidding. They will take their time. then again, you don't do this very often, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Just look at Snapperbait's link if you haven't already.<br /><br />Also, I would recommend a Vessel Safety Check from the USCGAux in the area, and maybe a boating class from the same folks. They're usualy free (except for a nominal materials fee) and very useful. Look for a local chapter of the USCGAux or Power Squadron. <br /><br />Where in GA are you, anyway, if you don't mind me asking?