How to Anneal Aluminum properly

etapatai

Cadet
Just a question, Once I have heated the aluminum with a ace/oxy torch. Do I have to wait until the aluminum cools before I start hammering the hull?<br />Or can I start banging away right away while it's still hot? As well, do I preheat before I weld the seam at the bottom of the trasom.<br />Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to Anneal Aluminum properly

The way I was taught to anneal Aluminum was to;<br /><br />Dampen a rag with Motor Oil......<br />Rub onto the area of the panel you're working on......<br />Heat the Opposite Side of the panel till the Oil "Drys" off.......<br />Then allow to Cool to room temp, by itself.......<br /><br />Then Hammer Away..............<br /><br />Unless you can Spread the Flame, A Lot , oxy/ace will be Much Too Hot.........<br />Use a Propane Torch...... Even Mapp is Too Hot.....<br /><br />I use a Mig to weld........ No Pre-heat.......<br />Just Clean it with a SSteel Wire Brush.........<br />And, Weld away......

etapatai

Cadet

Bondo!<br />I followed your instructions and it worked!! NO MORE LEAKS! I won't forget that advise and will pass it on! If you would like to know where I'm from. Take a look at Canada's map and point right in the middle and you'll find Baker Lake, Nunavut Territory. There's still ice here in July. Thanks again!

Bondo

Staff member

I won't forget that advise and will pass it on!
You've Made My Day............... Thank You...<br /><br />I live almost 1/2 way to the North Pole.......<br />That's Close enough for Me.......

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Mmmm..."still ice there in July." Is that why you're fixing a leak?<br /><br /> ;) <br /><br /><br />-dd-