Trolling Motor/battery

MYTJC

Petty Officer 1st Class
would it be possible to have the trolling motor battery hooked up to dc outlet and then maybe getting a on board charger connected to run a loop and be able to keep that battery fully charged for all day trolling. It only last about 8-10 hours and then it looses juice. Someone told me and would need some sort of converter to the 12 volt battery then i can use the ac outlet to plug a battery charger to it. Die Hard Deep Cycle Marine purchased at Sears brand new with a Minn-Kota All Terrain 12 V TM.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Trolling Motor/battery

First off what you are talking about is an inverter not a converter. Which battery are you planning on hooking this up to? If to the trolling motor battery, it won't work. Thats called perpetual motion and so far no one has been able to invent that. If you hook it up to the starting battery, it will work for a little while but you will have a dead battery when it comes time to go home. The simplest solution would be to get another trolling motor battery identical to the one you have and hook them up in parallel. BTW are you using at least #6 or #8 wire from the battery to the trolling motor?

MYTJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice Bill.....Not sure about the gauge. Just pulled the TM for the box and read it needed a Deep cycle battery. So off i went to Sears and purchased one. Just dont want to get stuck wihtout power on some lakes where electric motors are used only....I know they got some lunkers, I just need to make sure i dont run out of juice while i'm out.....Its a long way to row back to the launch area.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Electric only lake?? what's that??<br /><br />If you have access to AC power where you store your boat, then get a smart charger for you new battery. When your not using your boat you need to plug the smart charger into AC power.<br /><br />If you really do run out then add a second battery like IBNFSHN said. The same smart charger will work with 2 batteries as long as they are wired in parallel.

MYTJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, There's 2 here in California close to my house for non-motorized boat use only.<br />I'm very thankful for the advice and thank you all for the info.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

We have several electric only lakes (resevoirs) here in Va. Fortunately you can leave your big motor on the boat. Some you have to remove the prop. Its a real pain. But No Jet Ski boats!!

MYTJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

No need to remove the prop here my friend. I'm pretty sure i'm going to get a lunker...I thank you again and god bless.