Garmin 60c GPS question

chiuan

Cadet
I have just bought a GARMIN 60c GPS. Is this gadget too much for routing and keeping my fishing hotspots? Please comment on the advantage of this GPS for fishing.<br /><br />Thanks

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Garmin 60c GPS question

I recently purchased this unit as well. It is NOT too much for routing and keeping fishing hotspots. In fact, if you purchase the fishing maps you will get some fishing hotspots for your area already.<br /><br />As for routing, you can do it okay with the base software, but they also have another map called City Select that gives much more updated information and roads. I have yet to purchase this, but I will probably do so. It looks like a great option for routing and tracking.<br />
  • <br />
  • Go to the Garmin website and click on Maps & Charts.<br />
  • Select either "On the Road" or "On the Water" depending on what you want the most. For my example I'm using road.<br />
  • Look for "City Select" and select the North America link under that.<br />
  • In the upper right of the screen there is a Map Source Viewer...click on the link in this window.<br />
  • In the new window that appeared you can left click on the map and it will zoom in to the area you click on. Each click will recenter the screen and zoom in more.<br />
<br /> <br />One thing I noticed is that you are from Canada, and the fishing hotspots do not have maps for Canada at this time. At least not for Ontario.<br /><br />The U.S. Recreational Lakes and Fishing Hotspots for the EAST does have some coverage into the Great Lakes between the states and Canada, but that's about it. Lake of the Woods, Kabetogama Lake and Eagle Lake are all in there as well. I don't know if they are in the states or Canada...they are really close to the boarder. If you follow the sames steps above, but for the U.S. Recerational Lakes, EAST, then you can see the map coverage for that one.<br /><br />So far I love my GPSMAP 60C...only gripe I have so far is that I can't get the GPS and Fishfinder to talk to one another. I have the FF talking to the GPS, but the GPS isn't talking to the FF...

chiuan

Cadet

Thanks, Steven:<br /><br />I wonder if Garmin has a Canadian subsidiary? My main use will be for marking and gudie me to my fishing spots with reasonable accuracy, say, less than five feet. I am new to this type of toys and will need a lot of practice and study to make good use of this unit. I usually rely on my Eagle finder and landmarks. I hope the GPS will help me out to i.d. my spots every year with accuracy. In Ontario Karwtha lakes, the lakes have been fished out already. Without the concept of conversation, I will rely on my GPS to guide me to my spots. The 60c may be too much for me. However, I may use it to travel to the States for road navigation.<br /><br />I have just installed the transducer of finder on the transom of my boat and I am going to test it this week. I got a lots of help for the installation from other iBoat.com friends, like you, here.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />Andrew<br />My is :<br />1990 Traveller 171v<br />120 Hp Mercruiser Alpha One<br />I loveeeeee it!

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Andrew,<br /><br />First, I have to say that NO GPS is going to get you within 5 feet. 12ft is excellent...I have actually had my 60C to 8ft accuracy. That is wonderful for a GPS unit. Be sure to turn on the WAAS mode in your setup menu. This will increase your accuracy.<br /><br />As for finding your spots. If you are anchored and fishing a spot and you find its a great area to fish, push the mark button on your GPS. This brings up the Waypoint screen and you can highlight each area to give it a name, description, even your own icon (I use a fish mark). When you mark these waypoints you will be able to navigate to them again in the future.<br /><br />It is a good idea to upload those waypoints to your PC so that you don't lose them. Connect your 60C with the USB connector included in the box. Start up the Mapsource software and look for the "upload from GPS" icon to upload the waypoints to your computer. Then use File/Save As to save them as a file on your computer. Will make it easier to restore them if something should happen.<br /><br />My roommate and I installed my FF on Monday. I got it working, but will test it tonight for sure. The problem I am having is that the FF is not receiving any information from the GPS for some reason...the wires are hooked up the way they told me to. I have sent a message to Garmin's technical support for some assistance.<br /><br />If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them! :)

chiuan

Cadet

Thanks so much again, Steven. You have been a great help to me. I am sure I will call for your help again to find out more about my 60c once I start to use it more.<br /><br />Andrew

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem! Glad I could help someone for a change! I've gotten a TON of help from others here at iboats! :D