Weeds vs. props

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 52lb. Motorguide Lazer II. It has an old 3-blade prop on it. I am getting frustated right now because I'm cleaning weeds off my prop constantly. I'm wondering if it makes sense to replace this prop with something newer. I'm many trolling motors that only have 2 blade props. Another prop style has 2 blades with the tips of the blade curved inward to help shed weeds. Any suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Weeds vs. props

My MinnKota doesn't use the new style "bent over tip" style blade but is a cleaver style two blade. I have to get into some pretty heavy weeds before I need to pull up and remove them.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm thinking the two blade is the way to go. I think that's my best solution. Any weed that my prop runs into seems to get stuck on it right now.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Without having this thread degenerate into a bashing, let me say that the first problem you have is the brand. Motor Guide has never really offered a decent weedless prop. I don't know why it is so tough to design a prop, but they haven't. My first trolling motor was a 36lb transom mount. I got tired of cleaning weeds and bought a Ninja prop for it. Remember the commercials? It would just mow its way through the weeds, right? Well, can you say NO!!! LOL It would actually suck the weeds into the prop and wrap them up. I suffered through almost two seasons with that motor and wound up breaking the mount when I hit a stump. <br /> I purchased a different boat and a MinnKota motor the following year. I was just curious about the Minn Kotas and took the opportunity to try something new. I couldn't believe the difference! The weedless wedge was a huge plus over the MotorGuide prop. I could literally run through stuff that I wouldn't even have tried with the MotorGuide. I just bought a new 70lb. PowerDrive for my boat and it will go through weeds so thick you can't see the water. It is amazing. I don't mean this to be a nya-nya response, but MK knows what they are doing. <br /><br /><br /> The design of the blades is super critical here- the more the blade "pushes" off the weeds the better. The blades that "cut" through weeds just don't work. <br /><br /> As far your your motor now, I have heard of people having good experiences with the Kipawa metal prop. You may want to look into one of those. A two blade prop with a long sloped leading edge that lets the weeds slide off is the way to go. Three bladed props tend to have short angular blades that gather weeds. <br /><br /> As a last resort, use one of those attachments that clamps to the motor housing that cuts off the weeds for you. It might help and they're not terribly expensive. I've seen them at Bass Pro- less than $20 I think. <br /><br />UFM82<br /><br />UFM82

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks UFM82. That's very helpful. I'm shopping for a new prop this afternoon. Wish me luck, as I need it! I'll post my results for future weed whacking tribulations that other might have.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

Night and day! I had an old motor with a 3 blade and it was just horrible in the weeds, and duck weed forget about it!. last year I bought a minn-kota with a 2 blade and haven't had to lift it out of the water to clean it off yet!

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm definitely giving Minn Kota a chance with my next boat. I bought a 2 blade for the motorguide and while it is a little better, I still have problems with the weeds getting wrapped around the hub that is inside of the prop. I'm hopes of selling my boat this week and then I be hunting for a "new to me" boat. I'll make sure I'll get the most powerful Minn Kota I can afford!

LubeDude

Admiral

I have a Minn Kota, and it was decent anyway as far as weeds go, but I sharpened the edges a little with a file and it makes a world of difference.