Trolling Motor Fuses

brunowren

Seaman
I have read a few people on hear talk about fuses on their trolling motors or Circuit Breakers... I just got a new MinKota Power drive and no where in the instructions did it say to do this??? <br /><br />Is this really needed? I have a battery just for the trolling motor and nothing else gets hooked to it

D

DJ

Re: Trolling Motor Fuses

Typically, the fuse/breaker is mounted on the battery. The fuse/breaker does NOT come with the motor.<br /><br />Is it recommended? You betcha.<br /><br />Better a breaker/fuse than smoking wires.<br /><br />Any marine supply store can outfit you with a 40 amp breaker.<br /><br />By the way, buy a MARINE breaker-NOT automotive. Batteries emit explosive gases!

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling Motor Fuses

brunowren: agree with DJ but do the math on your breaker. In the Minn Kota manual that came with your new trolling motor it says that for a 12-volt system it will draw 1 amp for every foot lbs of thrust and a 24- volt systems it will draw .75 amps for every lbs of thrust. So you need to do the math so that you don’t use the wrong breaker and start a fire.