Pinpoint Trolling Motor Gone "Wacko"

RatherBFishing

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Pinpoint 3700 trolling motor, I am not sure of the age since I bought it used at the beginning of last year. I was out yesterday and not long after I started, it seemed to go "wacko" as my son put it. It would start steering back and forth quickly. It would move about 5 degrees left and right. It would do this for a while and then quit and go back to normal. It did this a number of times, always when I am operating it and it seemed to be when it was aimed forward. It would either stop by itself after a varying amount of time or if I lifted it out of the water it would stop and go to it's stowe position. One time it happened while I had suspended depth tracking to do some manual manuvering and when I hit the resume button it went back to depth tracking as if nothing had happened. When it was doing it one time I tried unplugging the foot control to see if there was something in there causing problems, but it kept doing it.<br /><br />It worked fine for me all of last season. In the few times I have been out this year, it worked fine until yesterday.<br /><br />Anyone have any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Mike

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pinpoint Trolling Motor Gone "Wacko"

Call the company. They have heard your problem before.

RatherBFishing

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Pinpoint Trolling Motor Gone "Wacko"

Well I called the company. Not good news. :( They said it is a control board issue and will only get worse. I was told it would have to be rebuilt and that it would run about $1100. He quoted me the parts themselves to be about $800. Sounds like I will be in the market for a new trolling motor.