Marine Radio

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you guys recommend having a marine radio for inland lake's? I know our marina on Patoka has them on all their rentals, but I imagine that is so those rentals can call in if they need any assistants. Would it be a good idea to have one on board for emergencies, weather reports, etc.? If so, can you recommend something inexpensive?<br /><br />Thanks!

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Marine Radio

A vhf is a good idea if you have no other way of reaching someone in an emergency.If you have a cell phone, and it works on the lakes you frequent, you can contact the coast guard, or someone on shore.Its better to have a vhf, you can contact boats close enough to assist in an emergency. The new dcs vhf will also give your co-ordinates, but by the time you buy a compatible gps, cables and antenea its probably gonna cost about $500 :eek: you can buy a decent vhf for about 150$, good used one for 75$.If you fish, or overnite there are channels to talk to other fisherman, or see if a marina has slips available.<br /><br /> Jim

kence

Cadet

I fish Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and I wouldn't leave home without a VHF

mattttt25

Commander

yes, recommend one. plenty of handhelds out there for a good price. west marine is selling a few of theirs on sale right now for $100-120.<br /><br />i would go with fixed unit with antenna, or decent handheld. i prefer icom, just think they are the best. for handheld, check out the m32li, new this season. i picked one up for my pop the other day for $159.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cntrysngr, I would recomend a VHF for two reasons: 1) They recieve the NOAA weather channels. 2)In a real emergency, where seconds can mean lives, a permanent mounted VHF is right at your fingertips. You can grab the mic, call mayday and give your position much quicker than trying to find your cell phone, dial 911, wait for a dispatcher to answer, hope they are familiar with the lake and know where you are at and can get the right help to you. If it is a busy lake, another boat might be able to help you that is just 2 minutes away.