Question for Tiny Tach owners

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm debating on purchasing a Tiny Tach. I plan to check the accuracy of the tach on my Javelin and then mount it on my Baja (if I ever put a floor in it). Although the price is not that high, I am concerned about the non-replaceable 5 year battery, as it may not get much use for a while if my current tach checks out. Has anybody ever attempted to get a look at what kind of battery it has? They charge for additional wire by the foot. Is there anything special about their wire? Can it be spliced and lengthened if necessary? Thanks in advance guys.

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Question for Tiny Tach owners

I don’t have one but I know what they are. I presumed they were mass-produced in China and are essentially a throwaway part. They advertise those critters for use on lawnmowers. Try one, if the bat dies, break it open and replace it. Should be good to go again if you don’t destroy the case getting it open. If you do, just toss it into a Ziploc bag. It’ll still work.<br /> :) <br /><br />As far as the wire goes, it’s probably just regular, small sized stuff. Not a big deal to add more wire yourself. If they sell it cheap/ft just buy it and be done with it. If you have extra wire about, use it. If the wire they supply is twisted (can’t remember) just twist your own.

Wreck Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought one with too short wire and extended it myself. No problem as long as you can source some coax wire, can operate a soldering iron and have some time on your hands. Doing it again I'd measure accurately this time and buy the extra wire at the factory just because it was a finicky job. The wire is coaxial, the sheath becomes the ground as a crimped-on ring terminal under any bolt on the engine, and the core becomes the inductive pickup by wrapping several times around a spark wire. <br /><br />As for the battery, it would be hit and miss to replace that because there isn't a traditional case for this tach, it's "potted" as they say in the electronics industry. That means the guts, display, battery, etc are put into a mold and an epoxy compound is poured in to make the body of the tachometer and keep everything physically secure. So cutting into it will almost certainly damage something important before you find the battery. On the positive side, this design makes it really, really water-proof!

Paul Moir

Admiral

Have a look at the commercial tiny-tachs that wire up to an external source. It doesn't seem very clear if and when the internal battery dies if the tach still works, so you might want to email them and ask.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

So are these things really accurate? I'd like to hear from some more Tiny Tach users. I read somewhere that one too few or one too many wraps around plug wire can throw the readings off by as much as 50%. <br /><br />I saw the commercial model on their web site Paul. That's a good question. I'll try to find out.

jvb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one of their techs told me they are accurate +/- 10 rpms