What does fogging spray do?

Forktail

Ensign
Re: What does fogging spray do?

It's main purpose is to protect cylinder walls when storing. During storage, condensation or moisture can easily enter a 2-stroke through the intake and exhaust transfer ports. This can cause the rings to "rust" or "stick" to the cylider wall. Not a good thing. The fogging spray provides a sticky coat of oil to all the metal. It also helps protect the internal parts like bearings, etc.

masterp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Corrosion that is one of the biggest enimies or motor has. That's why many companies recommend a 50-1 mixture if your using your motor less than once a week. Just like Forktail says, fogging is a way of protecting the bearings, walls and internal parts while the unit is being stored. If your using the motor on a regular basis, fogginG isn't neccesary. But whEre I am right now the temperature hasn,t gone above freezing for ten days. And even though I,m tempted to take my boat out, that ice rides a little hard. That's why Bombadier invented snowmobiles in the first place!

billy-bobby

Seaman Apprentice

forktail, do four strokes need to be fogged? and is there any problems if you store the 4-strokes in their side or back for extended periods , but obviously placing motor on the correct side as recommended by manufacturer? I am apeaking specifically of a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke