Serious battery terminal corrosion

ZmOz

Captain
About 6-8 months ago I upgraded the battery cables in my Jeep using 2/0 marine cable and some heavy duty marine battery terminals with some felt washers. They've already got a very thick layer of corrosion on them, enough that I can chip off large chunks. Also the positive terminal has turned a very dark grey, while the negative still looks like the original lead color.<br /><br />Why are the terminals corroding so quickly? The battery is a Die Hard Gold, about 3 years old and in very good condition. It hasn't been boiling over or anything as far as I can tell...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Serious battery terminal corrosion

I Can't tell you Why,.......<br />But,.... I Can tell you How to Stop It...............<br /><br />Clean everything with Baking Soda,.... Reattach,+ tighten,..... <br />Then,.. Coat everything with a Good Slathering of Grease................<br /><br />I Guarantee,...... No Corrosion..... Period...........I'll Bet My Boat on it....... ;)

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />I'll Bet My Boat on it....... ;)
I thought your boat was still floating. :confused: <br /> :D

Homerr

Commander

I've always used the felt washers and that spray-on terminal protector (by Permatex I think). I've never had problems with corrosion.<br /><br />That corrosion travels through the wire, so if there is even a small amount of corrosion left behind, you'll get the 'green gremlins' back.<br /><br />Baking soda works well to clean the mess, but it seems like I read somewhere that it can be dangerous using the soda. Something about the gasses building up... I can't remember.<br /><br />Using grease as a protectant will definitely work, but I'd guess it would be a mess if you had to remove the battery for some reason.<br />The spray on type of protectant doesn't exactly dry, but it's nowhere the mess grease would leave.<br /><br />I've even seen some people use regular spray paint on the terminals.<br /><br />Not sure why you are getting corrosion back if you replaced everything new. Maybe it's where you live? Where in Oregon are you? By the coast?<br />Everything gets corroded at the coast!<br /><br />My truck is 4 years old now with it's original battery and wires. I don't have any corrosion.<br /><br /><br />H.

ZmOz

Captain

I'm near Portland...not much corrosion problems around here. Never seen this much corrosion in any of my other vehicles, especially not with new cables and a good battery! I don't really want to coat them with grease, I'm always "playing" with the battery. (jump starting, charging other batteries, adding new electronics, etc) I think I might buy some of those bling bling gold plated terminals...

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shop around - you can find bling bling gold terminals cheap. I've always used the spray on protection, even with gold terminals. Does leave a sticky mess on the battery but no corrosion.

ZmOz

Captain

Got a set for $1.25. I love ebay late on sunday night! :D

Homerr

Commander

Do you have any other wires that jumper off your main terminals? If you do, and they are corroded... that will travel back to your terminals too.<br /><br />It's like a cancer. Once it gets in your wires... that's it. You have to replace them. If you're lucky, you might be able to cut the corrosion out if you can find the end of it.<br /><br />H.

ZmOz

Captain

I guess the battery has been leaking. I went to clean the cables with some baking soda and dripped some onto the battery...sounded like I was cooking some steaks! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Anybody know the details of the 100 month warranty on Die Hard batteries? I'm just past the 3 year full replacement part...how much credit do they give me after that?

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by RubberFrog:<br /> They prorate it.
I know that...the question is, how much.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I believe they figure it as a percentage based on the number of months of use. First 36 months full replacement (obviously), after that it goes as a percentage of months. ie: 38 months out of 100 month warranty equals 38 percent use. Your cost for a new one is price minus 38 percent.<br />It's been a few years since I had a diehard, but I seem to recall that's how it worked.<br />Hope that helps.

18rabbit

Captain

I think you have it right, RubberFrog, except the cost of a new bat would be 38% of the price, not the price minus 38%. The way you figured it, the older a bat is, the less it would cost to replace it. If only...<br /> :)