MINN KOTA MODEL 65C TROLLING MOTOR

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: MINN KOTA MODEL 65C TROLLING MOTOR

I think 28lb lifes great.

lifes great

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a formula to find the HP from the thrust of a trolling motor? I see some for sale that say 1.5 HP and some 3 HP.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dunno....interesting question though. I was under the impression that the motor is what made the HP.....you know...like a motor on the cloths washer and such. Have to take a closer look at that. I would suppose there may be a formula or some mathmatical way to figure it.<br /><br />EDIT: did a quick search of the forums...check the post link below.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000079#000000

Drowned Rat

Captain

lifes great. You cannot convert thrust to horsepower, but you can convert the workload of the motor (or amps) to horsepower. Knowing that a 28lbs. thrust motor draws roughly 20 to 25 amps and knowing that the motor uses 12 volts, we can figure the wattage needed to drive the motor. 300 watts. Knowing that there are roughly 750 watts in a horsepower, we can figure the horsepower of your motor. 0.4hp. Hope this helps. :)

lifes great

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyway what a great conversation this turned out to be. I always thought the word thrust was to put into motion and not the amount of amps it consumes. That link was interesting to say the least. I have a motorguid 43 LB thrust and on high it only uses 2.5 AMPS, I use a high grade amp meter in series solely because I’m setting it up for a solar powered boat. I was thinking of using three trolling motors all about 50 LBS thrust and the combination of the three should draw about 9 to 10 amps per hour. So on a six hour fishing day the motors would probably run about 2 hours total. I would then need to replace about 20 amps to keep the batteries to a full charge. Anyway just having some fun with it to pass the time away.

Drowned Rat

Captain

lifes great, a 43 lbs. thrust motor at full power will draw WAY more than 2.5 amps. More like 35 to 40 amps. ;)