Transducer paint?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I had the shop paint my outdrive and they used the tin based Alumaspray, which they have used in years past,altough it is no longer sold. They also painted the plastic transducer for my Humminbird Wide 100 with the same paint. Is this going to work ok or should I remove the tin based paint and use the transducer spray paint sold by Pettit?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transducer paint?

Lou...I never even knew they had trnsducer paint, I usually don't paint mine I just reach down and wipe it clean every couple of weeks. But if I was gonna paint it, I don't think I would use bottom paint, I would try that trans paint from Petit.

Phil Keyes

Recruit

I also am just installing a redundant depth sounder. They recomend a water based bottom paint as acetone can damage the plastic. My problem is to shim or not to shim. If I do, I may get bubbles that interfere if i don't I'll be checking the bottom several yards away. Guess I should post this as it's own question.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a through-hull plastic transducer - every year the yard repaints the bottom and paints right over it. I never paid any attention to it. Never noticed any performance or other problems with the unit. Going on 8 years now.