Audible click from transducer?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Eagle 320Fishmark, transom-mounted transducer makes a noticeable continuous clicking noise. Just loud enough to be heard from the back of the boat when the wind dies down. Not fast enough to be one click per ping, I think that would sound more like a buzz. It's kind of the sound you might hear from an electronic switch.<br /><br />Anybody else notice this? It works great, but could this mean something's wrong?<br /><br />Any chance it could spook the fish? Or call 'em in closer?<br /><br />thanks!

M.Magis

Cadet
Re: Audible click from transducer?

Perfectly normal. It seems particularly noticable in an aluminum boat. Not sure if it spooks fish or not. Some people think so, some don't.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

man if it spooks the fish---ummm that would suck!!!defeats the porpose huh?lets hope it dont

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have mine in the bilge in my glass boat and I can hear mine very plainly- Lowrance X91. The higher power units tend to be louder. (Duh.) The noise is probably heard by the fish I would guess- is it bad? I don't know either way. I have caught fish with it on and with it off. <br /><br /> But, it is normal.<br /><br />UFM82

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The click you here is the ping sent out. You can very the speed on most units with the scroll speed.<br />Watch your screen each time it moves to the left it has sent out a ping and received return.<br /><br />Can fish here it, I think so but due you really fish in the cone angle of the transducer, straight down or do you cast to the side or out the back?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Boatist, you mean it clicks every time it pings? I doubt I can hear the actual ping at 200kHz - normal audible range for humans only goes up to 20 kHz. I was thinking one click per ping would be too fast to distinguish individual clicks & so it would sound more like a buzz. You're probably right about that, though.<br /><br />Usually this time of year I'm fishing down into the cone angle, jigging for fish on the bottom or suspended at around 20 to 25 feet. In fact if the fish are suspended I use the F/F to monitor the depth of my lure. Every once in a while I see a fish arch intersect with my lure and feel the strike at the same time. That's kind of interesting.<br /><br />I know it doesn't bother fish that are stacked up & feeding because I have no trouble catching 'em. It's when they're being finicky that I wonder about.<br /><br />thanks,<br />john<br /><br />p.s. here's how they look...<br /><br />...on the graph:<br />
100_1261.JPG
<br /><br />...and in the boat:<br />
04180005.jpg

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Interesting display. I assume your are moving very slow and have the scroll speed turned up pretty fast. Still appears some of the fish are moving at same speed as the boat or both are pretty stationary. <br /><br />About the ping I agree your are not hearing the 200KC signal but maybe a harmonic or sound created by movement of the crystal inside the case, or maybe even the flex of the plastic case. You can also put your foot or hand under the transduce and feel it.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As far as scaring the fish... I dive in fresh water( Detroit river, lake Erie) and have noticed if we tap on rocks or steel with a knife it actualy seems to atract fish, don't know why a ping would srare them.<br /><br /> Jim

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Right, boatist, the boat is drifting, manuevering with the T/M just enough to stay with the fish. I actually borrowed that pic from my local fishing board, but that's what I like to see on the graph; we call it "the good stuff." The fish are moving, changing depths, your basic feeding frenzy. Don't know what ping speed, probably the default value.