Ducer mounting with speed wheel

LewisW96

Seaman Apprentice
How close can I mount the speed wheel and the ducur together? I would like to mount them maybe 5 or 6 inches apart. I would hate to have to move one of them after I already put holes in the transom.<br /><br />Lewis

sloopy

Commander
Re: Ducer mounting with speed wheel

it depends, I doubt it would cause any interference up when traveling below planing speed, but while on plane it might cause the transducer to give false readings. I have seen them as close 3 inches with no interference. I would not go any closer then 3.

Moody Blue

Captain

To be safe I mounted the speedwheel on port side and transducer on starboard side 12" out from lower unit. Didn't want any interference between the two. I was also limited space wise. Glad I went this way because I am now installing trim tabs and they fit perfectly without interfereing with the electronics.

gss036

Commander

I don't think it makes any difference. I have an older Impulse which has the spped wheel that snaps onto the back of the transducer. I also have (but not installed) an older thru-hull brass 120 MHz transducer that has an insert through the middle of the unit with the spped wheel. I have also seen Garmin units with the speed wheel built into the transducer. Just about all the transduecers are built by AIRMAR. Send them an e-mail and they will tell you what they reccommend. They have always responded to me in 2-3 days. They also have Q&A page, but I don't remember seeing that question posed. <br />I am installing a new unit on my boat, got a transducer mounting plate from Cabels, so I can patch the old holes with Marine-Tex and start over again and will 0nly have 2 holes to drill into the hull. The plate is a 4"X12"X 3/4" starboard, cost about 10 bucks.

gss036

Commander

Lou, did you get your problem solved? I tried out my my new set up, everything works great, just have to deal w/ a small rooster tail from the trsanducer.<br />I ran 2 units at once w/o interference, Eagle DF 50mhz/ 200mhz in one unit and the 120mhz in the Impulse.

LewisW96

Seaman Apprentice

I have the wheel and the transducer mounted about 3" apart. Everything works great until about 60 mph and then the wheel and the transducer are both out of the water. I have very limited space on the back of the boat, and nothing down near the pad at that speed.<br /><br />I'm having interference problems with my two Eagles but them are running on the same 200MHZ. Has anyone here ever played with one of the new switch boxes so I can run two units on the same transducer?<br /><br />Lewis

gss036

Commander

WOW! At 60MPH, is your boat even in the water ? ;-}<br />I changed the angle a little and raised the ducer slightly, may get a chance to get out tomorrow, depending on the wind.<br />Can't help you out on the switchbox. Good luck

gss036

Commander

Well, changing the angle didn't work so when I came home today, remounted and raised the transduce up. I sure don't think much of Eagle DF 480 Seafinder speed wheel. It reads better than twice the actual speed per GPS and my old Impulse spped wheel. Slow spped are ok. Maybe this is not a good unit for Saltwater.?

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys... The transducer frequency is in Kilohertz (Khz) not Megahertz (Mhz) :) . 120 Mhz would mean you are transmitting your own VHF TV signal!<br /><br />Amir