Weird finder response

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I took the boat out today for the first time using the fishfinder and the trolling motor. Finder is new humminbird lengend 2005. when I used the trolling motor the finder would go to Max depth. The only thing I can figure out is my trolling motor must have been drawing too much power. when I got home I moved my battery closer to the front and rewired the motor and finder on seperate lines and I will see if it still messes up. My battery might be heading south as its at least 3 years old any other ideas?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Weird finder response

H'bird is all you need to know, Jim. :(

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jimr, I think you are on the right track to solve your problem. It has to either be a voltage issue, or a "noise" issue. While you are rewiring, make sure that you keep your Humminbird wires physically away from the trolling motor wires (don't wire tie them all together). If what you have planned doesn't solve the problem, maybe a noise filter for the humminbird's power line will help.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Jimr, your humminbird has overvolt protection - it would shut off if voltage goes too high, not sure about undervoltage. H'bird tech support will reply to emails.<br /><br />More likely electrical "noise" from the T/M. Add to waterone1, keep the transducer cable away from other wiring. Is the 'ducer mounted to the T/M?<br /><br />let us know if this helps.

jimr

I will be going out next weekend hopefully and see how it works I also can move it if i need too. will let ya know what I come up with.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

when I got home I moved my battery closer to the front and rewired the motor and finder on seperate lines
This is a good start. They should definitely be separate, for both the current drop on that line and the noise created by the motor.

jimr

Well its still acting up I tried everything except the noise filter my old humminbird 100sx worked great(i hope the guy off ebay enjoys it)I also hooked it up to a different battery from the TM. I have emailed humminbird and will probally have to send it in to them. I hope if I do they have a good turn around time and it says on the web site you have to send in all the cables with it (what a PITA) oh yeah the transducer is on the transom bow mounted motorguide TM

jimr

Well I finally remembered to call humminbird this morning and talked to them about the finder. they tried to blame it on the trolling motor but when I said I replaced an older humminbird with this unit and had no problems with it they gave me a RA# and said they would look at it. I think they know what is wrong with it but didn't come out and say what.I will let ya know what I find out when I get it back.