Electric wire connections

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since the subject of wiring has come up a lot, what about fastening the stripped end of a wire in a ground, say tightenened with a screw. I have soldered mine before tightening (not trying to start that again). <br />Since I have had some excellent advice on wire size, how about bare wires in a bar. Any good corrosion inhibiting goop?<br />Be happy, enjoy life boat lots. Batavier

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Electric wire connections

met a live wire in a bar once, not a lot of inhibition, but still never did get bare. Not sure corrosion was a factor, maybe if I could've developed more friction...

Realgun

Commander

You should ring the wire before you screw it. :D

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, this is getting bad ! If you are seriously considering wraping a wire around a screw....don't! It may work fine in your house, but not on a running, vibrating boat. If you are talking about putting the wire into a buss that has a set screw that clamps down on the wire, that is fine....just get some liquid elecrtical tape and cover over the whole assembly after tightening.

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

waterone1<br />Bingo. Thanks. Batavier

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

You cn also use di-electric grease. It dose not seal the union like liquid electrical tape. But it does make disconnecting, changing the structure of the connection easier and cleaner.<br />Use of di-electric grease is a good idea anytime you make elctrical connections subject to moisture. Di-electric grease is available from auto parts stores. I just bought a toothpaste sized tube for $8.00. There's a Permatex brand tube that's smaller than trial sized toothpaste for $3.00, called tune-up grease. But be careful, this grease can get astronomical in price, but if you shop smart, you can get more than you;ll ever use on half a dozen boats for less than $10.00. Hey, I'm CHEAP! And not all silicone grease is di-electric.