Canoe-Trolling Motor

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Mohawk canoe that I want to put a trolling motor on. My buddy will sell me his 17 pound Minn Cota for cheap. I am also thinking of a 40 pound Minn Cota that I saw at Wally World for $100. Which do you think I should go with? Also, what type of deep cycle battery should I buy for a trolling motor?<br />Stalker

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Canoe-Trolling Motor

Canoes are really easy to move, stalker, so long as you don't want to exceed about 70% of the displacement speed.<br /><br />I think either Minn Kota would do the job for you.<br /><br />If you are going for electric-only propulsion it would be a very good idea to use only an electronic (pulse width generator) controlled motor. They use little more than half the power of the resistor controlled motors and will get a lot more time out of any battery. You will save bux on battery life and can get by with a smaller battery.<br /><br />For running a troller a deep-cycle battery is the best choice. What size depends on how much running time at what speed you expect to do. I would choose a group 27 Everstart Marine Max from WalMart.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

another vote for the Wallyworld Everstart trolling deep cycle here.<br /><br />I use a 36lb motorguide on my 15ft fiberglass bass boat and have never thought it needed more power (maybe late in the afternoon if it's been high winds all day).

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

You don't need forty pounds of thrust for a canoe. If you look at the manufacturer's recommendations, the 17 pound thrust motor is fine. You're wasting your money buying a forty pound thrust motor for a canoe.

geaz

Cadet

i have a 15 foot coleman canoe, and got a canoe mount from bass pro, and i got a 40 lb minn kota as well, it goes pretty fast under heavy load and is nice to have the extra speed and got a everstart marine with 75 amp hours and 100 reserve minutes for $40.00 at wal-mart. the battery lasts a good 7-8 hours on one charge on flat water and isn't as heavy as a big marine battery. that's using various speeds the entire time and some reverse with 2 people and gear for bass fishing. It works out nice. but be VERY aware if passenger gets out of the front.... it gives too much weight in the back and if you gun it it's possible to drop the rear down under water, which i almost did. You don't really need tat much thrust though depends what you're doing with it