Transom Mount transducer

bm258

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to mount my transducer to the transom of my bass boat. This is the setup i plan to use. please let me know if i am doing anything stupid, which has happened before :) I am going to try this to avoid drilling into the transom. <br /><br />1. Mount a piece of wood to the transom with epoxy.<br /><br />2. MOunt the transducer to the wood.<br /><br />Edit: Do i need to seal the wood with anything? It is pressure treated.<br /><br />Any comments are appreciated!

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom Mount transducer

At what speed do you expect the transducer to stop working due to planing so far out of the water ? How fast can you go ?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Do not use wood use starboard or aluminom. <br />Go to <br /> http://www.cabelas.com <br />in the top left in the keyword search type.<br /><br />"transom mounting plate"<br /><br />Then click on the iteam for a detail view. They have the same products here also but the search is not as easy.<br /><br />Mount the board with two screws or bolts and seal with 3M 5200. I would not be afraid to mount with only one screw and glue it to the transom with silicone unless you are putting lots of transducer on it.<br /><br />Make sure your transducer is below the hull and point stright down when on the water, not foward, right , left or to the rear. On a V hull one side will be farther below the hull than the other. The side clostest to bottom of the hull should have half of the transducer below the hull. Do not line it up with any skeg or row if rivets. Make sure you do not mount the transducer where it will hit the trailer loading or unloading. It should be 12 inches on more either side of the engine and starboard is perfered with standard prop. Do not mount near the chims or it will not work good at high speed.

SeaHorse

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a lot of problems with the cheesy mounting bracket made of two plastic parts with a bolt that was supposed to hold them together. It was always moving and/or catching weeds and then it finally broke. I junked the plastic and made an L shaped aluminum mounting bracket which I epoxied the transucer to, no transom mounting plate used. Its been great ever since. Reads at high speeds, very few weeds.

bm258

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do not use the depthfinder when i am running. I just use it for fishing purposes. My boat will run @ 45 MPH. Thanks for all of the help so far.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your hull is fibreglass you can probably mount it inside and not butcher up the stern. Call the manufacturer and ask for technical assistance. Ask them if you can go inside and if you can use Silicone Rubber to mount the transducer. Air bubbles cause loss of distance. Inside the boat is best, no drilled holes.------------------------------------If you go inside, I can help you some more

bm258

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would call the company, but they are out of busness. Ihat is what I have been told. The boat is a 1982 Venture bass boat. I would like to mount inside, but i am not sure if I can because i can not get in touch with the company.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Quick and easy to tell if you can shoot thru hull is to clean a spot in the bildge put your transducer there and tape it down to the hull. Now build a little damm out of kids clay around the transducer. Fill with clean water and go for a test. <br /><br />If it works to your satification then should glue down with some slow cure epoxi. When mix epoxi try not to get any air or bubbles mixed in. Slow cure should allow bubbles to excape.