Fishfinder instellation

EvinSFla

Cadet
Installing a new garmin fish finder. Due to Plug size had to run the wiring through the bildge and over the gas tank to the center console, wiring is usualy routed through a pvc pipe alongside tank, but could not fit plug and wiring through. Does this pose any safety concerns. ie. what are potential problems, with running wiring near a gas tank. <br /><br />Hydra sport 18 CC<br /><br />Thanks

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fishfinder instellation

You mean the transducer wire, not the power cord, right? <br /><br />Is there really even the slightest possibility of that generating a spark?

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At 600W peak power to the transducer you can spark real good. Same for the battery wires. Power is power. Input or output.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I see no saftey problem unless the wire is rubbing on something. Buy the plastic wire loom and snap it around your wires.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Evin, You need to assure that the wire doesn't rub, or it will ruin the cable and could cause a spark. My fishfinder uses only a fraction of the wattage that Richard Peterson cites. I suspect he mistook transducer frequency for wattage. 600 watts is 50 Amps on a 12 Volt system.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Chris, strictly speaking, they do express transducer power in "watts peak-to-peak" for example, the Eagle Fishmark 500c says "Depth capability to 800 ft (244 m) with 1500 watts of peak-to-peak power (187W RMS)" <br /><br />That doesn't mean 1500 watts at 12 volts. I don't know exactly what it does mean, but you can bet it's not drawing 125 amps from your electrical system! Current on these units is measured in milliamps.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

RMS power is true or REAL power. so 187 RMS watts divided by 14 vdc = 13.3 amps. flowing constantly. That is a good spark on top of a gas tank. Fumes collect at the bottom of boats. Don't run electric wires or cords delibertly over a gas tank or any other metal object. Would you tell some one else to do that. I will E mail Lowrance and get the peak battery current spikes for a couple of different power models. That's my best shot.

tommays

Admiral

well you allready have power going to the sender INSIDE the fuel tank.<br /><br /><br /> the cable needs to be mounted in loops or secured in some way other than just laying it across the fuel tank to flop about thats just a bad install that will not last <br /><br /><br />tommays

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree 1500 Watts Peak to Peak is 187.5 watts RMS and at 13.8 volts would be 13.6 amps but only for the very short ping. I think you will find the units fuse will be under 6 amps and actual draw is around 3 amps. Peak to Peak is a term use in AC circuits while RMS is a term used to give the same heating in a dc circuit.<br /><br />Anyway the unit will draw power at a fairly steady rate and power will be stored in capacitor in the unit to supply the ping power for the transducer.