new boater needs advice!

dave buckner

Seaman Apprentice
i am looking to buy 17-19" inboard/outboard bowrider, in 120-175hp range. i want to spend between $3000-5,500. i am not farmilliar with boats and what wears out/ goes bad as they age. i would greatly appreciat any advice on what age range and price i will be most happy with. also any advice on what to expect to go wrong on 10+ year old boats and how to check for problem will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, dave

D

DJ

Re: new boater needs advice!

Dave,<br /><br />1. Stay away from the 4 cylinder engines unless you are not going to ski. The 4 will be OK in a 17' but light in a 19'. It will cost more for a v-6, but the resale will be much better.<br /><br />2. Look for Mercruiser or later model Volvo's. OMC's are getting a little hard to get parts for.<br /><br />3. Take a sea trial.<br /><br />4. Ask if the manifolds and risers have ever been replaced. If they are original and 5 years old or older, expect problems with them.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dave, just my opinion but for that kind of dollar, I would personally want an outboard powered boat. You're going to get something older and you won't be sure of what you have. Outboard are cheaper to maintain and repair than an inboard/outdrive combo and much much easier to replace. Even if you buy a lemon outboard you can always pick up something in the ballpark cheap and swap it. There is a reasons you can usually get a better deal on an old i/o than the same sized outboard. Check out the cost of swapping out or rebuilding an i/o outdrive or motor.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I agree on the outboard solution, as many parts can be worn out in a 10+ year old I/O. Also easier to check out a boat with an outboard! Also, you will get more power from a outboard than you would from a similar powered I/O. Another advantage is that you will have more room (Deck Space) with the motor on the back.Also, you would be happier in the long run to get as close to the Max. rated HP the boat will take, so it is not underpowered. Rick