Opinions Please - Minn Kota 40AT or 40PD???

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the process of readying my 17' Basstracker for spring. One of the things I need to do is get a new bow mount trolling motor, as the old Motorguide 28 is looooong overdue for a replacement. I've narrrowed down my choices between the Minn Kota 40 All Terrain and the Minn Kota Powerdrive 40. My dilemma is deciding which is the better buy. Both are basically identical performance wise, however the PD has a batttery indicator, electric steering vs. cable, the grip glide system for easier deployment/retrieval, the battery maximizer feature and an 18' long cable so the foot control can be used about anywhere in my boat.<br /><br />First, any advantages/disadvantages to cable vs. electric steering?<br />(Should I worry about reliability of the electric steering?)<br /><br />Second, is the grip glide system a huge plus?<br />(The way Minn Kota tells it, you can't live without it?)<br /><br />Third, I really like the idea of the long cable/foot controller on the PD. Seems like that would be a plus when fishing alone?<br /><br />Fourth, the battery indicator is a nice feature as is the maximizer, but for my situation not a necessity as I always carry a spare battery on board.<br /><br />Lastly, - AND THIS MIGHT BE A BIGGIE - The price on the Powerdrive model is only for a 48" shaft, and my boat really only needs a 36" or 42". I'm assuming there is an adjustment collar that will let me hold the shaft up a bit higher if needed on the PD? I fish lots of shallow spots where 12" would mean the difference between chewing the prop or not.<br /><br />So, basically I'm looking at $320 for the AT and $370 for the PD. A difference of only $50. But hey, $50 can buy a lot of other tackle I need so I would appreciate any sage advice you guys have. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Opinions Please - Minn Kota 40AT or 40PD???

I had a PD and liked it. I liked the AP even better, but my style of fishing may be different from yours. The long cable for the PD and AP is a real plus.<br /><br />Grip Glide is just as much of a pain in the butt to deploy and stow as the "standard" method with the rope.<br /><br />If I fished stump fields or rocky shallows more I would think seriously about the AT, but probably go with the PD or AP anyway. I might even go for the Co-Pilot. The longer-than-needed shaft is a plus, not a minus; it is adjustable.<br /><br />I think most of us have far too much tackle (I do anyway) but only one troller. I would therefore get the best and strongest 12V troller (55AP with Co-Pilot) I could afford and get better with the tackle I have.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB, yes I would love a model with the AutoPilot - and I hear you about getting the best I can afford. Sadly, the price difference is almost double for a 55AP ($649) - too far out of my budget. My Motorguide is a late 80's model and is definately showing it's age. I would rather have a newer, more reliable trolling motor with a bit less power and AP than go another season with this Motorguide.<br /><br />FWIW - I mostly fish a 9.9 restricted reservoir and a few other small lakes in my area. Don't really deal with much big water or waves. Do a mixture of Walleye, Bass, Crappie and White Bass.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've had both cable operated and my current boat has a PowerDrive. The PD is simply not as convenient to stow and deploy and a sissor mount and response to foot controls, although not bad, can never be as quick as the cable operated. However, my PD is on a slide mount and stows in the boat for transport. Being able to unplug everything with the PD is nice and it runs forever on a big deep cycle. I would be more concerned about the Co-pilot reliability than any other feature. Also, if you want to mount a transducer on the PD, you have to tie wrap the cable at the motor, run the cable up the shaft, through the grip glide handle and tie wrap it again just under the head. The Cable will slide freely through the handle as you stow and deploy. The other option is to get the PD with a built-in transducer.

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Upinsmoke, there is no Co-pilot feature on the models I'm considering only the bigger motors in the PD series have the AP and Co-pilot as standard features. Good tip about the transducer, though.<br /><br />Well, I guess my one big hangup is still the reliability and ease of use of the electric steering vs. cable steering. I'm just figuring it's one more electrical thing to worry about going on the fritz down the road. I'm definately going to purchase one or the other this week - just trying not to make a stupid mistake.<br /><br />Am I missing anything else here? :confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only reliability issue with the PD is with foot controllers. They apparently don't take well to sand and continuously wet conditions. The bottom is totally exposed on these controllers. I make sure mine is always stowed in a hatch at night and in a padded vinyl bag I made for transit.

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmm, that is disconcerting. Sand probably wouldn't be an issue, but my boat sits outside all summer (under cover) and I do fish quite a bit in the rain here. Also, I just noticed on Minn Kota's selection chart that all of the top of the line Maxxum's and Maxxum Pro's use cable steering only.<br /><br />At this point, I'm guessing that without theAuto Pilot feature, the electric steering is kind of a frivolous extra?<br /><br />Aaaarrghh! Now I should probably consider the Motorguide FW46 FB which is about the same price but is a 46# thrust vs. the 40# Minn Kota.<br /><br />Decisions, decisions... :mad:

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Co-pilot can be added to any MK PD motor. Pricing is about $129. Have had 2- no issues whatsoever. Flawless. Weather proof? yeah- weather proof enough....always sits out uncovered.... Is it as rugged as a AT? Probably not but, for the average user it will be extremely reliable. <br /><br />The collar on the shaft is adjustable to allow you to trim it to the depth you want. You can always shorten the shaft with the collar, but you can't add to it without a major expense...<br /><br />Good luck!

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

I bought power drive 40 at walmart for $311 and have been very happy with it. <br />I use it on a 12' boat and I can get about 3 days or so without a charge! also with PD motors you can fine tune the speed just right for any wind condition.<br />The grip glide system works great but is no better than any other method, and the rest of the motor so far seems to take a good strong beating!<br />I would definitely recommend it to you.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with getting the foot controller wet. Just don't put it away wet. If your boat sits uncovered, store the controller in a hatch or make a cover for it. I really like certain features of the PD but if I had to do it over again, I would get another sissor mount and cable operated unit. I loved my old Evinrude. What sold me on the PD was the economizer and ability to quickly remove the unit without the problem of dealing with the cable steer stuff. Unfortunately the stow and deploy system on the PD is not as convenient and steering is not as quick. Motor Guide was not a consideration due to past quality problems.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Had a AT now have a PD. The thing that bothered me most about the AT was I had to keep my foot on the pedal or it would spin in cirles. The powerdrive just point and get back to fishing. To me the PD is well worth the $50.

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I think I'm leaning toward the PD at this point. I really like some of the features - and I figure the extra $50 is worth the extra long cord and the battery maximizer alone. Although, I'm still kind of worried about the electical steering components reliability.<br /><br />I want to thank you guys for all the help. One last question, anyone seen a better troller for less than $400, or perhaps one of these models for considerably less?

montanaman

Seaman Apprentice

You may want to check out Cabela's bargain cave. Looks like you may be able to get 15 lbs of thrust more for the same price.