new fuel guage + sender reads max full

BassAssassin

Seaman Apprentice
howdy, i just bought a new tank with a sender on it and am trying to hook her up. i have it to the point where it reads totally full, but i dunno where the short is. any ideas? thanks

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new fuel guage + sender reads max full

Is your tank full of gas?

BassAssassin

Seaman Apprentice

lol, nope. i put 4 gallons in it so i could test the thing. its a 22 gallon tank.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fuel gauges work by the sender putting a variable resistance to ground. Varies by gauge, but short to ground is full, open circuit or high resistance is empty.<br /><br />Sounds like you are on the right track assuming a short. I suggest you take it one step at a time.<br /><br />If you disconnect the fuel sensor from the guage, do you still read full?<br /><br />If so, when you disconnect the guage do you read full or empty?<br /><br />If full, sounds like the wire has a short somewhere. If you can't trace it you might just want to just run a new wire.

WalleyeNut

Recruit

I had a problem with my fuel gauge, drove me nuts for a month. the short story is make sure of all the connections, make sure the ground is connected to a good ground. I spent money on a new gauge, and sending unit before I figured out it was a bad ground .

Dunaruna

Admiral

If a short doesn't present itself you might want to check that the sender and the gauge have a matched impedance range. Just a thought.<br /><br />Aldo

BassAssassin

Seaman Apprentice

yap, i didnt have it grounded good enough. as soon as i grounded it better she worked fine. thanks a bunch.