just got a garmin 188c have mounting question

i got the duel freq transom mount transducer. is this the best one i could get or should i have gotten a thru hull unit?<br />it is going on a 25' proline single 225 opti and has a sea drive if it matters.<br />thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: just got a garmin 188c have mounting question

I think you got the best, Proline. In 5 or 6 years, when the 188C is obsolete, you will be glad.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

that dosnt sound good. do tell, the unit is not mounted yet if it is a piece of crap i will return it and get something different. other than the screen problem what else is bad about the unit?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nothing is bad about it, Proline. It is state of the art. As good a unit and value as is available, IMO.<br /><br />Think about units that were state of the art 5-6 years ago. They still work, but lack performance and features that your 188C has.<br /><br />In 5-6 years there will be units that outperform it and offer features it doesn't have. That's what I meant.<br /><br />"State of the art fever" is very similar to "2-foot-itis". You will eventually want to upgrade your GPS from the 188C to some newer, bigger, brighter screen unit that will do stuff the 188C can't do and costs less. When that happens, changing the transom mount transducer will be a piece of cake compared to busting out a hull mount unit.<br /><br />I guess it's a price we pay for fast moving technology.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

got ya, thanks i was a little scared for a min i have heard nothing but good things about the unit.<br />thanks for the input.<br />i will post after it is up and running.<br />KaJo

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

proline, <br /><br />I just reread this (after I started a Garmin post).<br /><br />You mentioned- "other than the screen problem what else is bad about the unit?"<br /><br />Where did you hear about a screen problem? <br /><br />I plan on asking a Garmin rep. about this at the Boston Boat Show next week, but doubt I'll get an honest answer..........

i did a google search on garmin 188c and opened a bunch of links, everyone loves the unit except the screen issue. i will look for and email you links to the posts if i can find them again.<br />KaJo