Going the Distance

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 16' tahati open bow. If the main engine gives out (4cyl mercruiser) How far can I go on the trolling motor with 2 12 volt batteries? Just wondering if the trolling motor could be used in an emergency to get back in. The boat is used only in lakes. I dont have a trolling motor yet and I am weighing my options on that. Any suggestion on good effiecent motors? How long would a good trolling motor go for? Could I go 10 miles on a good trolling motor with 2 full batteries?<br /><br />Thanks in advanced

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Going the Distance

Darren, with 2 fully charged deep cycle batteries on a flat lake with zero wind, you might just be able to go 10 miles although that's pushing the limit. Invest in a small gas outboard. Better speed, better distance, lighter, and no worries about whether you'll make it back before the battery dies.

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rat<br /><br />But a gas engine is not in the cards. Its a small boat and was just wondering if the main powerplant died I could limp back to the ramp with the trolling motor. Any recommendation for a good , effiecent 12volt trolling motor? I would like to get a bow mount with foot controls.<br /><br />Thanks

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When you say you are only using your boat on lakes, what is wrong with getting to the nearest marina if you motor should peter out?<br /><br />My 20ft Polar CC weighs over 2500 lbs. and goes along well with a 74lb thrust Minn Kota Riptide.<br />I have fished all day long (about 8hrs) in a few tournaments without draining the batteries below a 75% charge. I would have confidence that with a full charge it can get me back to the launch if something should happen to the outboard.<br /><br />Kevin

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PAkev<br />"When you say you are only using your boat on lakes, what is wrong with getting to the nearest marina if you motor should peter out?"<br /><br />Not sure what you mean there. <br /><br />I live on a very large lake. 160+ miles of shoreline and I have never had an electric trolling motor, so I want to know the duration of time they can be useful for in the event of main motor failure.<br /><br />Thanks

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Darren, I can only speak for myself. I would be very hesitant to risk you and your family's safety by making any kind of blanket statement about a battery powered motor getting you back to shore. There are so many variables involved. Just a few of the questions would be:<br />Weather conditions, weight of boat, current draw of motor, efficiency of motor, reserve capacity of batteries, amp/hour rating of batteries, state of charge of batteries.......the list goes on.<br />If you had all of the above information, the distance you wanted to travel could be figured out.<br />An electric troll motor is certainly better than nothing, But I wouldn't consider it as back-up propulsion in an emergency.....but it sure beats <br />rowing.

Drowned Rat

Captain

There is a difference between using a troller for 8 hours fishing and using it to get from one place to another. Darren, if it's windy, you won't make it back. Also, by the time you buy a bow mount motor and foot control etc... you could buy a really nice 2 stroke kicker for the same price that you know would get you back safely. Just my 2c, but trolling motors aren't called TROLLING motors for no reason. Good luck.

18rabbit

Captain

Fwiw, here in California there is a growing attitude to limit or ban 2-strokes on some freshwater lakes. Lake Tahoe (Cal & Nev) being the current victim. Just read the results of the first year study and it looks like gasoline contaminates are way down. Maybe there is something to this. I expect the restrictions to expand to other lakes, eventually to everything everywhere, logic not withstanding. There are certain new 2-stroke motors that are allowed but I’m not current on the technology. Most are banned.

kinsmen

Cadet

I have two electric trolling motors, two batteries, and two break down paddles in my boat. When the trolling motors stop working, I still have the paddles. Can't afford the gas kicker and don't have space for it.

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess what I was really trying to get at was if I was out on the lake and the engine crapped out , could a 12 volt trolling motor make it (aprox 5-6 miles) back to the boat ramp in ideal weather conditions. The boat is a 1977 16'tahiti open bow stripped down.I bought this boat last week for $200 I am converting this to a bass boat type vessel.

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info Kev<br /><br />I actually had my boats madian voyage today , it ran great. I do plan on have 3 batteries when this project is completed and will check into the 24vt motors. I have alot of work ahead of me, but it will be fun.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Darren,<br /><br />If your converting this into a bass boat, you will find out a trolling motor is almost a necessity anyhow.<br /><br />As another poster indicated there are indeed many variables to how long the batteries would last on your trolling motor. My Riptide is wired with tandem batteries in a series for 24 Volts and I'm confident it would get me back to the launch of most any lake I fish. In fact, I have purposefully tried to discharge the batteries by using the trolling motor on full power instead of the outboard and have not been able to fully drain them.<br /><br />From the context of your post, I am assuming you are boating under normal or near normal conditions. Nothing beats a well serviced motor to get you to where you need to go; especially when the weather turns to nuts. With outboard tilted up my Riptide does a little better than 5mph per GPS. Tailwinds will get you in quicker and headwinds may make things feel like maing 2 steps forward and one step back. Therefore, it is not something I would want to solely rely on 10 miles out when the lightning starts.<br /><br />My recommendation would be to purchase a good trolling motor which you would probably buy sooner than later anyhow and see if it fits the bill of your expectations. 24V will provide greater power and less battery drain but costs a few more sheckles out of the gate and will require purchasing and servicing two dedicated trolling motor batteries.<br /><br />Kevin

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Check into motors that have the "maximizer" technology. They work by rapidly pulsing the power to the motor, which has proven to save energy/extend use before a recharge. Could give you the extra hour of use to get you back to the dock.