Garmin 188 keeps shutting down

Manxman

Seaman Apprentice
I have the above unit fitted on my small boat.<br />Going into a head sea the unit keeps shutting its self off, and is happening more frequently.<br />Once it turns itself I just press the button and it starts up again no problem.<br />I've checked the wiring and electrical connections, which are sound.<br />My thinking is that it could be a "dry" connection in the unit, it's probably going to be exspensive as the unit is six months out of warranty, anyone else had a similar problem?<br />I've mailed Garmin and am awaiting a reply.<br />Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Garmin 188 keeps shutting down

How do you know the wiring is sound? Have you checked the wiring all the way back to the battery? A voltage drop anywhere between the unit and the battery will cause this condition. <br /><br />I had a similar experience which took me three months to solve. It turned out to be a bad in-line fuse holder in the main power feed from the batteries.

Manxman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response dingbat. <br />I only rewired the boat six months ago, thats what made me think there may have been a connection that I hadn't tightened properly.<br />I have also had all the fuses out off and checked <br />them and the holders also.<br />If it was a drop in voltage as you suggest I think it would have effected my VHF's performance.<br />When I get to the bottom of this I'll post again<br />Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Manxman<br />If it fails often then hook up a volt meter at the power connection of the 188 unit and see if your can see any voltage drops as you hit a wave or pitch and roll. Sometimes a Analog Volt meter works better trying to see a voltage drop. Another thing you can do is put a digital volt meter on the circuit but set it to the AC Volts. If you see any Voltages show up on the AC setting you know you have a intermitent problem.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Many DVMs have a min/max recording function - that's really useful for problems like this.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I had the exact same problem on my 182.As it turned out,it was caused by voltage spikes that happened when the engine suddenly revved up just after cresting a wave.I solved the problem once and for all by adding a second battery dedicated to the 182 exclusively.

Manxman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks rolmops I'll try another battery just for the plotter, I haven't been able to get out in the boat the weathers not been good at all