Problems Power Trim & Tilt 1978 Evinrude 85hp OMC

mjsigns

Cadet
The previous owner of this boat said the hyrolic motor is the original, and he had it rebuilt 5 years ago. Recently, I have had to hit it with a hammer to get it to operate. It works after it is hit, but seems to struggle to work. From what he told me. evinrude does not make a three wire replacement motor anymore, so I may have to get one with a 4 wire lead and replace the existing transfer unit as well...<br /><br />Any one have any ideas or suggestions that would be any more cost effective?<br /><br />Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problems Power Trim & Tilt 1978 Evinrude 85hp OMC

From your description of "seems to struggle to work", it is hard to no if the motor is the problem. It could be wiring, relays, pump, or seals. Find out what the exact problem is, before you start throwing money at the motor. It might just be low on fluid.<br /><br />If you do need a motor, they can be bought at NAPA, from their marine catalog, or iboats may have them in the megamall.<br /><br />If for some odd reason, a complete new system is needed, you can get a CMC Tilt unit in the megamall.<br /><br />OH, this question should have been posted in the Johnson / Evinrude repairs section. So the moderators may move it there.

mjsigns

Cadet

Thanks Roscoe- <br />I will do a little more investigating. The motor sounds like it is missing some teeth and sounds like it is grinding. The Bateries on board were chaged before the last trip. I am not sure how to check the fluid level on the unit. How could I tell if the seals are bad? <br /><br />I am a true newbie, with a classic old engine.

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class

mjsigns I have a 79 85hp and I think they are similiar. If so the plug to check the level is on the resevoir, opposite side to trim motor. My Evinrude manual says to only use OMC power tilt and trim fluid or Dexron Automatic tranmission fluid. If it is low you may need to cycle it through about 5 times after you fill to get all the air out (according to the manual). Do the above before attempting the following. There is a filter under the motor on top of the pump. Pump may be binding. When you tap on the motor it may relieve it just enough. If you take the motor off try running it with no load. There is also some springs about the size of an ink pen spring. I can't remember if it is in the pump or under the pump. I had one break and it didn't want to lift. <br />If you have seals leaking very bad you should see some fluid.<br /> I would get some type of manual if you don't already have one. There are a lot of possablities it could be. Regular Evinrude manual covers all the power tilt/trim hydralics and electrical. You will need the model off your engine to get an Evinrude manual to match your engine. Should be a number like 85995,85990,85999. <br />Don't get discouraged you can fix it. <br /> :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Replacement 3 wire motors are still made but most folks upgrade to the 2 wire motor. It uses 2 relays instead of the single solenoid. <br /><br />Most likely a new tnt motor will fix the problem. Those are classic symptoms.

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class

mjsigns don't know if you have had chance to check it out or not. Joe Reeves gave some good advice in about the same sitution as yours. I didn't look at the date but I think it was todays under engine section.He should know if any of us do, since he has 30+ years with omc. Post title was Tilt/Trim 85 Johnson

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Moving to Johnson and Evinrude Troubles and Repair.