How do i check for spark

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do i check for spark

Hi Merlin...<br /><br />Are you looking to check all cylinders or just one or two? In my opinion, a spark tester is a must for all do-it-yourselfers. It can really narrow down problems with the ignition system. And it is safer than pulling the spark plug and grounding it on the engine. You can also see the spark better. If you are looking to check one cylinder, pull the spark plug and leave the lead attached. Using insulated pliers or fuse pullers, ground the plug against the block and have someone crank the engine. Watch the gap of the spark plug for spark. Spark Testers are available from Stevens Instruments. They should have a web page.<br /><br />Jim

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Will it not start, or do you think you have a dead cylinder?

sloopy

Commander

hmn :) Sears also sells a plug tester :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Good ol' Sears...never ever gave them a thought Sloopy....Thanks for always needed good knowlege.<br /><br />Jim

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Here's the Steven's spart tester.<br /> web page <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

lpkirby

Petty Officer 3rd Class

do you place the lead on the engine or just close to it?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Leave the spark plug in the spark plug lead and ground the plug to the block. WORD OF CAUTION: You are dealing with some pretty high voltage here. It can give you a real good jolt. I KNOW!! So use insulated pliers or fuse pullers to hold the lead.<br /><br />Jim

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Should have added....<br /><br />If your ignition system is "up to snuff", You can hold the spark plug boot close to a clean engine ground and see a spark jump from the boot to ground. This works real good on high energy CD ignitions.<br /><br />Jim

D

DJ

Merlin,<br /><br />I made one (spark tester) by soldering an alligator clip to a spark plug. This allows me to<br />clip the plug fimly to a good engine ground and also allows me to widen the gap at will.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

mmmmmm :rolleyes: (now I'm sounding like sloopy) Good idea djohns.<br /><br />Jim

c9908928

Cadet

Thanks everybody for your responses, my motor does not kick over at all so i assume that there is no spark on all cycliders, if not where do i go from now

sloopy

Commander

new electri8c pack? around $200 I quess :)

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Do you smell gas??<br />Pull your plugs and see if they are wet after trying to start.<br /><br />If they are wet , probably no spark( or to much fuel)<br /><br />If they are dry, probably no fuel getting to cylinders.<br /><br />As far as checking for spark , geuss I am old school.<br />Remove the plug , put plug wire back on, position plug so buisness end of plug is laying against cylinder head,turn engine over and watch for blue spark.

c9908928

Cadet

I have checked i have no spark and on all six sparkplugs and they a wet with fuel

lpkirby

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like it is your Power pack to me..

Trent

Captain

You have checked the kill circuit? Is the landard installed?