Depth Finder Interference

RomanRegal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HI, I have a 1987 Regal with a 5.7 liter Mercruiser. I have a depth finder on the boat that can installed on the boat when I purchased it. It works fine at low rpms. However, pushing up the rpms causes false readings. I read in the instructions that this finder should have its own power source and not be run from the boat battery. Is there some type of filter I could place in the wires that would remedy this situation? Thanks Roman

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Depth Finder Interference

Are you sure its electrical interference? Electrical almost never results in false readings. You might get strange looking stuff on the screen or maybe it won't work at all, but I don't every think I've seen an electrical problem cause one to read wrong, if it would read at all.<br /><br />Thom

RomanRegal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes,<br />I am certain it is a electrical issue of interference. The manual itself states that if the power source is not isolated, the finder will give incorrect readings. Otherwise, whatshould I look at next?<br />Thanks Roman

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

transducer location and installation play a critical role

james082273

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think Kesh is probably on to something. Is the transducer mounted on the transom? If so is it low enough? A good starting point is the bottom of the transducer set at a little lower than flush with the bottom of the boat. You might have to experiment with the angle also to get it right.