AM/FM Radio Acting up?

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got my boat out this past weekend for the first time this year. I went to play the radio and noticed that if I turn the radio up kinda loud it will go out like the power was disconnected (losses time on the clock and presets). If I keeo the volume down..it will play just fine. I even noticed that if I turn the bass up on it, it does it worst. What could this be? It woeked fine lastr year. It's a decent radio from Curcuit City with nice 150 watt waterproof marine speakers. <br /><br />Thanks:<br />Jason

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AM/FM Radio Acting up?

It almost sounds like you are drawing more power than your source can provide, as this seems to have happened over the winter, I would check the connections for corrosion on your power leads, if not it could be in the unit itself, did you remove the radio for the winter?

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boatin Bod,<br />No...I didn't remove the radio over the winter. It stayed wraped up under the shelter all winter. I'm running light gauge wire from my battery to a fuse block under the dash and I have all my gauge lights, fuel gauge and depth finder hooked to that. You think if I run a heavier wire it would be better?<br /><br />Thanks again:<br />Jason

D

DJ

connections, connections, connections.

buddyx1

Cadet

85Sunbird <br /><br />I would also check the wires going to your speakers and make sure nothing is crossing. Sounds like your stereo has an automatic fail-safe. Do you have a separate AMP?

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Buddyx1,<br />No....I have no amp. <br /><br />Thanks:<br />Jason

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

If it worked OK last year and you've made no changes then I would suspect connections and/or the unit. But really check the connections, corrosion can creep down inside the wire under the insulation and you may not notice it.

buddyx1

Cadet

If you cannot visually see any connection issues or wire issues.<br /><br />You can take the radio out and hard wire to battery with new wire and use new wire for speakers. If the radio works fine than you have wire problems. Maybe little critters got in and started feasting. <br /><br />If still having problems then check to make sure that you have correct OHM speakers for the radio you have (use a Volt/Ohm Meter). Possibly, test your radio on different set of speakers. Make sure that you have the polarity correct coming from the radio to the speakers (use a Volt/Ohm Meter). How many speakers are you running on your stereo?<br /><br />If you still are having a problem then you more than likely have internal issues with the radio itself and will need to get it fixed or just buy a new one. Maybe it is still under warrantee.<br /><br />Another thing you might try is running one channel at a time and see if you have the same problem.

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys......I will try these things this afternoon when I get off.<br /><br />BuddyX1,<br />I'm only running 2 speakers total in the boat.<br /><br />Thanks again:<br />Jaso

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update!!<br /><br />I found the problem last night. I cut the wires from the back of the radio and hooked it up to another battery source and it worked perfectly. It must have some bad connections somewhere so I'm going to run new wire from my battery to the radio.<br /><br />Thanks again for all your help guys!!<br /><br />Later:<br />Jason