motor guide bow mount trolling motor -

alexc

Seaman Apprentice
65# 12/24 volt - Do I really need 24 volt If I only go out and probably use the trolling motor for 3 or 4 hours run time for the day? How long will it operate on 12 volts? What make battery is good? Boat weigh 2500 lbs with gear and family. Thank you.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: motor guide bow mount trolling motor -

Originally posted by alexc:<br /> 65# 12/24 volt - How long will it operate on 12 volts?
You can gather opinions alexc but the best way to find out is to just take to the water and see for yourself. :)

alexc

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you OldJarhead .....but no loaner available here. I am planning to buy the right one - the reason I was asking. I'm thinking the biggest thrust i can get at 12V due to limited battery space available. Alexc

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhhh... Okay, now we're on the same page. :) <br /><br />I don't know if this is going to help but my guess is that at 2500 lbs you will, in all likelihood, need a 24 volt trolling motor with a thrust greater than 65lbs.<br /><br />Also, a bow mount T/M will be your best bet.<br /><br />Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alex, i have a minkota 55lb thrust with aotopilot etc. it pushes my alumacraft navigator 175cs that weighs in at about the same as yours. the 55lbs does fine. :)