Cobra VHF Radio?

BoneDigger

Seaman Apprentice
I realize that Cobra has been making CB radios for many, many years, but how is their VHF radio? I-boats has the MR-F55 for right at $115. I have a line on a good antenna which I hear is even more important than the radio. The Cobra has DSC and is waterproof. Any comments?<br /><br />BTW, I only fish the coast (Texas) probably 2-3 times per year and so mostly will be using this for communicating boat-to-boat in lakes with my friends while fishing. I never fish offshore so my saltwater trips are mostly to bays. So, it won't likely be used for emergency situations. Would the Cobra work for this?<br /><br />Todd in TX

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Cobra VHF Radio?

I don't know much about cobra's line of vhf radio's but for 8 bucks more you could get a standard horizon which has a very good reputation for quality. The features are very similar.<br /><br />I wish I could provide more info on your specific question about cobra but I have never seen one on a boat so it is difficult to answer your question with any degree of confidence. But maybe that fact alone tells you something.

scott i

Cadet
Re: Cobra VHF Radio?

yea and Standard Horizon is offering factory rebates until end of June.<br /><br />Portables<br />HX260S -$30<br />HX350S -$25<br />HX460S -$50<br />HX470S -$50<br /><br />Fixed Mount<br /><br />Eclipse+ - $20<br />Quest -$20<br />Intrepid+ -$40<br />Spectrum+ -$40