Non working tach

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice
Tried to find some posts dealing with my tach. I have a stratos mid 90's I think. We bought it from my wifes uncle and it was used about 30 hours when we bought it. The tach works only at idle. Is there a trouble shooting guide to check things, I saw diff posts about the rectifier ? maybe, not sure about boats. I'm still learning things. It has a 70 evinrude also - thanks Mike<br />Also, I'm trying to ID my trolling motor, It says on the pedal, BF2K 12v

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Non working tach

If it works at idle, it could be the tach has shot crap* or it could be loose connections at the gauge. Check the connections first. Is your charging system working OK? Good voltage at speeds above idle?

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice

What is a good voltage, it's usually about 13v according to the gauge. Do you have to use a tach for a stratos or any boat gauge.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

As long as your voltage rises with the RPM's, it sounds as though your rectifier is working. I'm not just talking about voltage across the battery when it's sitting there with the motor off. When it's running is what I mean. Any Tach that has a "6" setting on the back will work. Faria, Teleflex are a couple.

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I wanted to measure the voltage better.I needed a new battery also. I got it and put it on. I cranked the motor, at idleI used my multi meter and I had 12.56 v, but on the water<br /> the battery stayed on 12.5 side of the gauge but started to rise later in the day. Does it sound like the rectifier is going bad and if so, can I replace it and is it expensive? thanks Mike

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mike....did you get a WOT reading? If it stayed at around 12Volts, could be the rect. has gone south. At WOT, you probably should have seen a reading of around 13.8Volts. You didn't post engine year. I looked at a rect. for a 95' 70hp. Runs around $200.<br /><br />The trolling motor was made between 90' and 93'. 36" shaft...12volt.

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. The voltage stayed a pretty constant even at wot on the water. <br /> I wasn't sure of the year of the motor, Our uncle couldn't remember the year of it. He guessed 90 -91. Wwould any nimbers from the motor tell you how to ID it. Thanks for the info on the troll motor - mike