Wiring GPS question

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I posted a question in the I/O forum (question about hard starting motor - it is here: egine question ). <br /><br />This also involves my new GPS I just installed. When cranking the engine, my GPS goes off. After the engine starts I have to turn the GPS back on. It is obviously losing power during cranking. I have it hooked up to the batt side of the ignition switch (I have a feed onto a power strip that feeds several electronics). Is this just a case of maybe a bad ignition switch, or should I wire it up at a different location? If so, where?

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wiring GPS question

Your problem may be larger than it first appears. You probably aren't having a power shut off, what you are likely having is a severe voltage drop. Its not that you loose all power, its just that the power drops down to below something like 11.6 volts (I think that is the Garmin threshold) and the machine shuts itself off. <br /><br />The real problem here probably is that the power feed up to your ignition switch is not large enough to support all of the stuff that you now have it feeding. What you really need to do is run a new, and heavier, power cable from your battery switch up to the console, let it feed either a fuse panel or a breaker panel, then hook all of your electronics to it - after you take the in-line fuses out of the lines and see how far you can throw them.<br /><br />So, there's what I think your problem is and there is your solution. A lot of guys will simply put up with the voltage drop and get in the habit of turnin on the electronics after the engine is running. That will work for a while, but as soon as the terminals on that already over stress wire start to corrode it will get all the worse. You might also want to be taking a look at your actual battery cables, not only from the engine to the battery switch but also from the battery to the battery switch. Corrosion there will also result in a substantial voltage drop but in the end it just about always an undersized power supply wire that causes what you are seeing.<br /><br />Thom<br /><br />Oh, it could be just something as a old weak battery, but I assumed you checked that before posting.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Thanks Thom,<br />Yea, the batteries are up to "snuff" - I considered running a separate line from the batteries - looks like I may yet. If I do, is it best to put a big circuit breaker or fuse back where I connect the line to the battery?

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ThomWV has it nailed pretty good. You did say batteries correct? Do you have a lot of electronics or just a few? You can add a dedicated electronics battery and an isolator (did this on many boats), or just an isolator and draw the feed for the electronics from one battery and start the engine from the other. There are dual output alternators on the market as well to charge two banks of batteries. Using a battery selector switch would allow switching to the other battery if the starting battery goes dead. :)