serious skiing AND fishing boat in 1??

joegraviss

Cadet
Don't laugh--but I am a slalom (32 off) and trick (into toe tricks) skier<br />that is not looking to compete, just have fun. I want to buy a boat that<br />meets all my needs--which includes fishing! (I said don't laugh!)<br /><br />So, how can I land a striper at 6 am, run 32 off at 10 am and do some<br />trickin' at noon? What boat can deliver the right wake, engine, trolling<br />motor and live well?<br /><br />I'm serious, but on a budget for boating fun.<br /><br />Thanks for your help!<br /><br />joegraviss@mail.direcpc.com

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: serious skiing AND fishing boat in 1??

I recently was looking at fish and ski boats. I ended up buying an older decent shape '84 Procraft 1750V. I have no idea it it would handle your ski needs, but it works for my family's recreation needs (nothing as serious as yours) and my fishing needs. When looking, I found there are 2 strains of these beasts - a bass type outboard boat modified for ski or a I/O bow rider boat modified for fishing. I don't recall seeing any true inboard "ski" boats. I went to mfr websites looking at new models and then backed down to reality of what I could afford. For the fish/ski, I looked at Procraft, Javalin, Triton. For ski/fish, I recall Sea Ray and maybe a few others. Good luck in your search.<br /><br />BL...

joegraviss

Cadet

BLifsey,<br /><br />Thanks alot for your reply. I'm afraid you're right. I think that either we're rare breeds who need both fish n ski at a high level, or the boat mfgs haven't gotten it right yet. There's alot of boats including those you mention that claim to be fish n ski boats, but are really watered down (no pun intended) versions of one or the other or both. I would think Hydrodyne would have had a great fish n ski by now but they seem to have gone in the ski vein only. When I go to google and search for fish n ski boats, they return about 35 choices. None seem to jump off the page. I'll keep checking this and other posts\bb, but will probably need to end up at a local dealer and see what they offer for testing. Thanks alot for the reply.

FISH'N101

Seaman Apprentice

Howdee BLifsey ,<br /><br />Have a 16' 1650 Fish Hawk Crestliner with 90hp Johnson. While I don't ski kids and grandkids like to. My boat does about 40-45 mph no problem. If you aren't familiar with this line of boats -- it is a all welded aluminum boat. Similiar to a lund without rivets. It is completely set up for fishing. Fishwells, electic bow mount trolling motor etc. It is not a tournament ski boat but plenty good for the kids to have fun tubing and skiing. <br />Good Luck,

fritchey

Cadet

I have a Crestliner 1900SST Phantom. The boat is an aluminum deep vee with a 150hp evinrude. The Crestliner Phantom's come in 19 & 21 foot sizes and are fish/ski combination boats. It is a good fishing boat and satifies my needs for sking, although my sking needs may not be up to your required level. No problem pulling skiers out the water, might be worth the look. Good Luck in your search.

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not a fisherman, so here's a 35' off skiier's point of view... You either buy a ski boat (inboard) or you buy a fishing boat. There's no boat that combines both on a serious level. No I/O or outboard is ever going to ski like an inboard no matter that you do to it. <br /><br />My 2 cents...

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Just as a wild card you might try skiing behind a bay boat. Such brands as Cape Horn, Key West, Pathfinder, or Scout.<br /><br />Please keep us updated on what you find :cool: <br /><br />Kelly Cook

joegraviss

Cadet

Thank you all for responding. I wish I had the pocket book for 2 boats Mr. TxRiverRat because ultimately, you are absolutely right. We had a Ranger bass boat and various Natiques, Mastercrafts, Supra's, Supreme's and even a Hydrodyne growing up. Life was good. But, now that it's my money, I have to sacrafice a perfect pull for fun on the water getting the most bang for my buck. So, I realize I'll compromise in both areas, but feel like I'll get more use out of hybrid. At almost 40 I really don't need the 36 mph 32 off pull nor the release for toe tricks anymore, just good clean fun with friends doing some am fishing and pm skiing with the dogs lapping at the spray off the side of the boat! I saw a Nitro 288 at the boatshow today and it looks nice. Plan on test skiing it in the Spring. Has all the necessary fish stuff, token ski stuff, so we'll see. Any thoughts on the quality of Nitro Boats. The hull has a 5 year guarantee. Outboard Merc, and speedo's that I can put air guides into. So is there a problem with a Notro that I need to know about? Thanks!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Over at www.anglerworld.com the bassboat guys don't give Nitro much respect. Look hard at Champion, Skeeter, and Triton. If these are all too rich then maybe a Javelin.<br /><br />Just my 2 cents,<br />Kelly

muskybait

Recruit

Joe,<br /><br />I have a 1992 monarc/starcraft alluminum 1800fs. This is a fish/ski model...I beleive Starcraft still has a fs series of boat. Good quality boats...I am strictly into fishing, however, this boat converts into a nice ski machine with bow cushions etc... It has a 115 merc. outboard, and I have it set-up with a high-five ss prop. This is usefull for hole shots......I loose rpms and top end speed but gain with quicker hole shots.....a nice trade-off for the skiiers.....<br /><br />I am about a year away from selling this one for an upgarde, have a few leaky rivets to repair first.....keep in mind the prop style and pitch for potential enhanced performance from an outboards. goodluck<br /> :D

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I gave up that idea. Bought the wakeboard/ski boat and said forget the fishing. I later purchased an expensive boat for fishing only. Works better for me. I believe that if I tried to buy one boat for both activities, I'd be satisfied with neither. <br /><br />Just a thought. <br /><br />Arlan