Need some "prop tryout" help.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Welll, actually, there is a little more to it, as you probably suspect. Here's the deal. (I've also made this post on another local DE forum too, I know some of you read them both).<br /><br />I just installed a 1996 50 HP (4-stroke) Mariner on my Lowe 1760 MT fishing boat (basically an aluminum open hull), and the Mariner came from a much heavier boat. Which means, it hits 6000 + RPMs in less than 3 seconds. I tried it yesterday at Massey's, and I was literally on plane before I left the dock (I know, no wake area, but trust me, it made no wake, only the prop was in the water). Had to stay above the dredging pipes too, and fight the wind, yada yada. <br /><br />Problem is, I don't know how big of a prop I can go to, and I'm too cheap to buy a couple of different ones to find out. Dealers tell me I need a 14 pitch, but I think the boat will handle more. (I have a 12 pitch on it now). <br /><br />So, just to be sure, I want to find someone that has a 15 pitch prop or a 16 pitch prop to try on my boat. My catalogs tell me that just about any Mercury/Mariner/Suzuki/Force motor in the 30 - 70 HP range will work (the diameter is approx. 3 1/4" (gearcase) and it is has 13 splines). <br /><br />I live in the Smyrna, DE area, and will travel about an hour any direction to give it a try in the local waters near where you live. I'll bring you a grab bag of saltwater lures too, for helping me out, or take you fishing in the boat once I get it set up with my new prop. <br /><br />If anyone can help me, either post back here how to get up with you, or e-mail me your phone number at seadawg007@hotmail.com and I'll call you on my nickel. <br /><br />Or, if anyone knows any prop shops between Smyrna and Indian River Inlet that allows "try before you truly buy", I'll give them a shot. <br /><br />I may not get a chance to check my e-mails or back on this forum today, but I'll look on Monday for sure. <br /><br />Thanks in advance. Ron

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need some "prop tryout" help.

Seadog,<br /><br />It really depends on what you are going <br />for - top speed VS holeshot. Why don't you try contacting Mariner and asking them what the recommended pitch for the prop is? They should be able to recommend the prop that is suited for a balanced level of performance.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. Yea, I'm going for top speed, because I like to run brackish creeks for 7 to 10 miles to go to the DE Bay where I like to fish. The water is normally like glass, because they are not very wide. I've done a LOT of research, and it looks like most flatbottom aluminum boats like mine will handle a 15 pitch prop pretty easily.<br /><br />Since there are soooo many different boats out there, Mariner was hesitant on exactly recommending a prop. And I have set up all the inside stuff (console, live well, etc.) in my boat "custom", so it will handle differently than most other boats.<br /><br />I truly think it will handle a 16 pitch, but I'm not sure enough to buy one.<br /><br />A friend told me yesterday that there is a place near me called the "Propeller Feller", and he is supposed to let you try it out, and trade it for another if it does not work.<br /><br />I'm going to try to find his number today and check it out.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

I'll let this post die after this one, just want to update on the prop progress.<br /><br />I finally got through to the dealer the boat came from, and they tell me they set up 2-stroke 50 HP Johnsons on my 1760 MT Lowe boat with 17 pitch props.<br /><br />They are unsure of a 4-stoke 50 HP would use the same prop, but they told me they would be doning some "on the water" testing in March.<br /><br />I'll be patient, and watch my tach with my 12 pitch prop, until I hear back from them.<br /><br />I'm guessing now I'll be getting a 16 pitch.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Just to update for future guys checking out props, I ended up with a 15 pitch Stainless Mercury Quicksilver prop. Turns out there is a prop shop in Fenwick Island (Propeller Fellers) that allowed me to try out all the props.<br /><br />15 pitch was the max he had in stainless, so I started with it. My motor (1996 50 HP Mariner 4-stroke) recommends 5500-6000 rpms, and I hit about 5800 with my normal "light" load in the boat. It was too cold to hold onto my handheld GPS to get true speed readings, but my depthfinder speedometer said close to 40 mph. All I know for sure was it felt cold on the face (40 deg. air temps here in DE this past weekend)! The boat is a 2000 Lowe 1760 MT (side console, alum. floor as options)<br /><br />Hole shot is good too with the prop, since the motor instantly goes to 4000 rpms when you gun it from idle.<br /><br />I put over 20 miles on it (mostly 2 -3 mile hard runs, trying out the prop), and only used about 2 gallons of fuel. It's amazing how easy on fuel these 4-stroke motors are, especially when you are used to the older 2-strokes.

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Seadawg, <br /><br />I think Captain Ultra could give you the technical explanation, but if I remember correctly, there could be an issue with how hard your prop will make your motor work dependant upon the pitch.<br /><br />Just food for thought.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Tx. Yea, I should be OK now, because normally the "prop goal" is to have your motor hit max recommended rpms with your "normal" boat load.