Rope

bundy

Seaman
Give a man enough rope and he'll hang himself.Sure, but what kind? Any of you experienced boaters care to tackle what kind of rope is best for anchoring,mooring,docking,luanching,etc. I've seen braided,twisted,nylon,polypropylene,and combos of both and it has me tied up in a knot of confusion as to what to use.<br />thanks,<br />Bundy

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rope

Actually, its a matter of choice (and cost).<br />Nylon is the best all around choice. Its UV stable, easy to handle, and most of all has a built in degree of elasticity. Twisted or braided is really a matter of personal preference. I like to use braided for the anchor line, with a chain rhode the last 10 feet. For dock lines, I prefer twisted. <br /><br />Something else thats nice about nylon lines, if they ever start getting stiff simply dunk them in a bucket of fresh water to wash them off, then dunk them in a second bucket containing fabric softener. They immediately return to that "new" feel. Doesn't hurt the rope one bit. <br /><br />Stay away from poly rope. Its great for skiing and pulling tubes because its cheap, lightweight and it floats. Problem is that is highly subject to chafing, wears fast and is prone to breaking under stress. Also it doesn't hold knots too well because of its stiffness. Why is it on the market...well its about 1/3 the price of nylon.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br />Nav. :cool:

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting subject.I agree with Navigator,and personal preference comes in to play.Nylon it the most versital, but I prefer double braided for my Bow and stern lines,easy to handle,tie and untie, look good,never kink.I use 1/2" 3 strand twist for my spring lines and anchor.Nylon is the stronger than dacron or manila,and it doesn't shrink. Stay aeway from poly except for tieing it to a rescue throw cushion because it floats.

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Navigator and Pursuit2150... nylon is what I use for mooring, docking, and anchoring, although I like twisted better. It's easier to splice loops for dock lines and anchor thimbles, and twisted takes shock a little better than braided does. Braided has some advantages over twisted as well, so it does come down to personal choice. And when you get right down to it, nylon is pretty inexpensive. <br /><br />For more info, a good resource for lines, knots and everything nautical is Chapmans. Check it out.

petryshyn

Commander

I agree with all above. I prefer braided as it stretches and contracts which give dampning on choppy water. Anchor seems to hold better....

bundy

Seaman

Great responses! What about lenght of bow and stern lines ,dock lines,etc. for 16-18 foot fishing boats?<br />thanks again all