Painting a Wooden Boat?

boltonc

Recruit
I bought a 12' wooden fishing boat that was left high and dry for 15 years. Luckily, the boat had no rot damage and had not split or cracked anywhere from drying out. However, the paint is shot to hell. I went down to the paint store and the salesman recommended a two part acrylic-modified aliphalic polyurethane epoxy and a universal primer to go underneath. However, when I was reading the directions, the paint says it is not rated for submersion service. The salesman disgrees, and all the paints at the boat store are exactly the same as the paint I bought. The boat is only going to be used for eight hours a day, and then removed from the water. I'm wondering does the word "marine" on the can from boating store make the paint suitable for submersion service or do I actually need to buy marine paint? :confused:

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Painting a Wooden Boat?

For long term good looks and peace of mind ,I would do a complete clean-up smooth finish, and fiberglass then paint. It takes time and elbo grease, but I think you will be happy with the finished job. I did it on a 9' dingy and it lasted a few years.

flips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Painting a Wooden Boat?

this brings me back abit<br />first boat i had sounds the same as yours mine was an old clinker hull crying out for paint. removed all old paint with belt sander<br />rough grit then finished with fine. apply two good coats of primer i used pink house primer enamel, let dry for about aweek then one coat of undercoat and finished with two coats of marine glos enamel. lasted for 10 years keeped undercover when not used. also fill boat with water and let soak for aleast<br />aweek before, then drain when water drys up<br />start sanding<br />hope this helps i had agreat time with mine cheers.