Boatbuilding at home

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyryone,<br /><br />Somehow, somewhere, I came across the website for Glen-L - the peope who sell plans & stuff for homebuilding a boat.<br /><br />Man - that site's got me dreaming now. I want my first project to be a Cabin Skiff.<br /><br />Has anyone else here built their own from scratch from their (or any other company's) plans? If so - how was their service? Anything to watch out for?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rex S.

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boatbuilding at home

I built a Class A hydro in 1954 from plans I got from Popular Mechanics it was a lot of fun. Mom wasn't to happy though when I skiped school to play with it. <br />Glen-L has been around for a long time and I would expect that they are a good company to deal with.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Dragon! <br /><br />Man, what memories you trigger!!! My mentor, the finest gentleman who ever lived, and I built an 8' pram from Glen L plans in, let's see, 1951. It was a blast! <br /><br />I had a 1935 Water Witch motor we had rebuilt. . . .no idea what the HP was. .. .that would putt-putt that li'l cockleshell to the best bluegill beds in all of NC where I would collect a string of bulls on my fly rod.<br /><br />Gawd!! What it is to be 16 and in love with fishing and have an adult friend to help and guide.<br /><br />It truly doesn't get any better than that, Dragon. Thanks for bringing back the memories.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

joe parker

Seaman Apprentice

I am 90% done with my "power skiff". It has been an enlightening experience. I have been working on it for about a year; I've got about 100 hours of work in it so far. I have spent quite a bit of money, about $1800. I have truely enjoyed this project, but for the $$,I probably should have bought a fixer-upper instead.Glen-L is a good company, they will answere your technical questions. the plans and instructions are a little vague, but all the info is there. overall, I would highly reccomend it.

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all!<br /><br />I've decided to go for it. My father has a workshop behind his house, 2 hours from us, and it'll give them ample time to see their grandkids - while we eork on the project.<br /><br />Joe,<br />Sure - you've spent $1800, but what would a new one cost? I noticed on the Glen-L site that there are a few of their boats for sale - that were their test models. They are selling them "at material cost" without adding in any man-hours for labor. Sure it looks steep initially, but remember - these are new boats, and in some cases have only been put into the water 3-4 times.<br /><br />My personal view on "fixer-uppers" is a bit negative. You are inheriting, at a great discount, problems that the prior owner didn't want to deal with, or didn't have the knowledge to work with. But - that's my .02 cents.<br /><br />Do you have any pictures of the progress on your Power Skiff? I'd love to see how things went, especially in the early stages, up to your current status.<br /><br />Rex S.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey PD<br />Like others have already stated Glen L has been around for a number of years. Keep that in mind when choosing one of their boats - many designs are very old. ;)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey,<br />Rex S, It's me, hooty. You, your dad and kids are gonna build a boat together? Now that IS priceless. Ya'll will enjoy that for years. Go furit. Ya won't be sorry.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />hooty

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes - I do realize that some of their designs are "antequated", but at the same time, that's part of the intrigue that will turn some heads on the water.<br /><br />I'm sure we'll get some stares, some questions, and some heads shaking after they hear that we built it ourselves.<br /><br />Just got an email from "Grandpa" and he's willing to let me use the shop & his tools. So we'll hopefully get started this spring. (after the tax-man pays up) haha<br /><br />Rex S.

joe parker

Seaman Apprentice

Hey purple dragon, I would advise that you only buy the plans from glen-l. the pre-cut wood pieces, and epoxy,and cloth cost alot from them.West system epoxy is very good stuff, and they sell self measuring pumps for their products. Clark Craft has a good site too, and their prices are better on fiberglass cloth and tape. yes, I have pictures of mine, but I don't know how to post them. maybe I can get my wife to post them for me tonight. People seem to find it fascinating, when they see my boat being built. I'm nearly finished with her; only needs to be fiberglassed and painted. what do you think of the glen-l "sweet caroline"?

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet Caroline looks nice. My personal option would be to build it with a cabin on it - just so I could sleep overnight, should I want or need to - But then again - I'll probably end up getting one of the wider boats for that. (16' "Cabin Skiff", the 17' "Sea Knight", and the 19' "Two-Plus")<br /><br />I've already got a little open fishin' boat - so If I'm going to put my sweat equity in a boat - I want something different - not just another open fishin boat.<br /><br />Glen-L also has a customer project log on their website so new customers can get a idea of the man-hours and labor involved in their build.<br /><br />Thanks for the tip on the items. I'll check around on pricing for the extras (FG/Epoxy)<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rex S.

joe parker

Seaman Apprentice

Purple Dragon, before you buy the plans, check out this other design that I have found. It's called Renn Tolman's Alaskan Skiff. If you like the looks of the cabin skiff, you'll love this one. go to "Captain Porter's home page" there are some pics there. Renn Tolman also has a site with pics. I bought his book/ plans for 25 bucks. I really want to build this boat. I'm sorry , I don't know how to post a link, you'll have to look it up yourself.

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Joe,<br /><br />I just found the links for both sites. Wow... Just opened up a whole new range of ides!<br /><br />Rex S.

D

DJ

Purple Dragon,<br /><br />My hat's off to you. I've never built a boat, only restored. There is no satisfaction better than KNOWING every square inch of it.<br /><br />I've owned many new ones, but never felt as comfortable in them as I did with the ones I restored.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello...New to these boards. They look great.<br /><br />Here's another site that offers plans. I had order their model OD16 and OB15 with intent to build but wife tallked me into buying an older Fish & Ski. Said I had enough projects going. I may still build later.<br /><br />Boat Plans Online<br />(http://www.bateau.com in case I didn't do the URL code right)<br /><br />Thanks,<br />BL...

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well,<br /><br />I put the check into the mail today for the 3 books from Renn Tolson's Alaskan Skiffs. Those to me looked to be very sturdy, as they are made for Alaska's bad seas, an lightweight - so shouldn't be any problem to trailer behind a regular pickup truck.<br /><br />I'd like to go with the Jumbo, but may have to settle for the Wide Skiff. Depends on how wide the garage door is to my father's workshop in East Texas.<br /><br />My wife just shakes her head at me and says I'm crazy... But it's gonna be fun!<br /><br />Hopefully Renn's not off on a 3-month journey, and can get the books to me quickly! Now - to do my taxes & pray for a refund! ha!<br /><br />Rex S.

joe parker

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Rex, that's great. The book is worth the $$. I like the design for the same reasons. Are you going to loft the sketches yourself, or are you going to buy the full size patterns from Capt' Porter? Glen-L has full size patterns, which did make it easy; kinda like sewing

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll have to look at the plans when they arrive, and will see how it looks. It may be well worth the time to have it all laid out on paper, though.<br /><br />Rex

myotherjob2

Cadet

I built an 8 foot fisherman's skiff from a web site.I will try to load a pic soon.It is all plywood and fiberglass reinforced.I use a Wal-mart Minn-kota trolling motor to propel it 34 lbs of thrust.I have less than $300.00 in it so far.I use a bucket for a seat.Making the jig for the sides was harner than I thought as I am not mechanically inclined.I can easily tote it in the back of my F-150 PU and launch it anywhere.It only works in the flats though.