Map source help

sloopy

Commander
I don't know if anyone else on this board has this problem, but I will ask anyway. I have the Mapsource US TOPO software and it comes with 3 data cds. The information and maps I downloaded from the disk are great but I want to use info from two of the disk (some maps from Los Angeles and some from the state were I live) Right now I can only download info from one CD. Does anyone know how to download info from two CDs?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Map source help

Sloopy, what does it tell you when you try to download maps from a second CD? The only way I can think of that it would give you problems is if you have a different Mapsource map, like "places of interest" already installed in the same area you are trying to install the Topo. Otherwise the GPS shouldn't know the difference??? Is it erasing the first data you are installed off the 1st CD when you try to install the second set of data off the 2nd CD? On my e-trex Vista, you can program it not to do that. Not sure what kind of unit you have.<br /><br />Peace??<br /><br />The Rat.

sloopy

Commander

HI rat, I can only download one or the other, not both. If I download map X from cd 1 and then download map Y from cd two it will delete mapX. IT will not let me download the maps from the CD to my computer. I know that there is a way to install ALL the software to my computer but the directions do not mention it.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Peace.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are probably trying to exceed the memory of your unit, Sloopster.<br /><br />You can store many maps in your 'puter, but there is limited memory in most Garmin GPS units.<br /><br />I have that limitation in my GPSMAP 162. Only so many MB can be downloaded into it at one time.

Drowned Rat

Captain

If I read your post right, you're not even getting to the point of downloading the maps to your GPS, is this right? I have this same software and I have to put everything I want to put on my GPS on the "Download" page first, and then put it on the GPS. It won't let me download bits and pieces at different times, not sure why. But I think what you can do is load all the maps and waypoints and whatnot from 1 CD onto your computer, and then save that information as a separate folder. You should then be able to put additional maps from another CD on there by saving them to the original folder. It seems silly, I don't know why they designed it this way. Good Luck. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

download them both to puter, pick which maps you<br />want, then burn a new combo cd?

sloopy

Commander

Thanks for all your help BUt no go :( <br /><br />I have plenty of memory, and I can download as many maps as I want from ONE cd. It will not let me save maps to a folder so I can not download a group of maps from a different CD.

woundup

Cadet

I have a Garmin 162 and use Map Source , I think you have to name each map as a MAP SET select both and load into the GPS. To use one or the other the menu page should have a TAB to select which map set you want to use. That's how the 162 works. Hope this helps.

sloopy

Commander

still no go. I think it would work if I could download all the maps to my computer. How would I do that?

Drowned Rat

Captain

OK, Sloopy. I think I figured this *%@*#% thing out. First, you know the way you put in a disc, say the East one, and you can start saving maps and they appear on the left under the maps tab? Ok. First put in a disc, doesn't matter which one, save all the map segments that you want to put onto the GPS and they will all appear under the Map tab. This is also the time to save any waypoints etc.. you need from this disc. Now Stop! Next click on the "View" pull down list and select "Region". Then select the new CD region that you want to pull maps off of. The computer should prompt you to put that CD into the drive. Don't click the OK button until you have put the correct CD into the drive. Once you hit OK, you can install maps, waypoints, etc.. off the new CD. Continue this til you have all the maps you want and then click the "Download to GPS" button. WHEW! Let me know if you have any problems or if my instructions suck. <br /><br />The Rat. :)

sloopy

Commander

LOL still confused. I don't know how to use the mapsoucre software. I always just found the maps that I wanted and clicked them so the turned to that yellow shade. Once I selected my maps I would select send to GPS and wait. I must not read the paper instructions, that would brake every rule in the book.

18rabbit

Captain

Sloopy – you might want to try calling Garmin (???) support while sitting at your computer. They should be able to walk you thru the process and tell you exactly where the fault is and how to get thru or around it.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was pretty sure you'd get the right answer after a while, and of course you have, but not with much explaination.<br /><br />Remember how when you started loading in maps (you have a GPSMap-76S, right?) and when you did it erased your built in waterways and markers or whatever it is that they call their baseline on water stuff? Well, loading in from Mapsource does pretty much the same thing. If you pull from one disk and load it in the first thing that the loading process does is note the existing memory for over writing, for all practicle purposes erasing it. So then the new map resides in the GPS' memory. The problem is that if you go to a second disk for additional maps, even though there is plenty of room left in memory to hold additional maps segments, what it will do is erase everything that is currently in there before loading in the next map.<br /><br />So what you have to do is find a way to move the map segments from the disk(s) to some temporary holding folder until you have the stack of them you want and then moving that entire block into the GPS at one time. I have not found a way to do it, but I haven't tried very hard.<br /><br />The reason I wanted to do it is that I use MapSource Roads&Recreation in my Map-76 all the time just for the street maps. I also have the BlueChart disk of the water borne stuff but it only gets used in the computer. I can not put on street maps and nautical charts at the same time, even though both come from MapSource disks (a lot of folks forget that the Bluecharts are just a subset of the MapSource system). <br /><br />I only use the 76 as backup on the boat anyway so there's no reason to have nautical charts on it. I've got them on the chartplotter, which uses a BlueChart data cassette, so I really don't have any reason to have them on the hand held. If the big box breaks down the little one would just be used for the ride home anyway, and its not like there's a lot of fixed objects to hit out there.<br /><br />Thom

Fritz-X

Recruit

Sloopy,<br /><br />Drowned Rat is correct. You can downlaod maps from any mapsourse CD. I have both Topo and Metro Guide maps in my Vista, but you have to select the ALL the maps before you download to your GPS. Just select the maps from the first cd, eject the cd, insert the next cd and select the maps you want. You can do this until you have all the maps you want... just don't load into the GPS until all of your desired maps have been selected.<br /><br />Fritz<br /><br />
Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br />OK, Sloopy. I think I figured this *%@*#% thing out. First, you know the way you put in a disc, say the East one, and you can start saving maps and they appear on the left under the maps tab? Ok. First put in a disc, doesn't matter which one, save all the map segments that you want to put onto the GPS and they will all appear under the Map tab. This is also the time to save any waypoints etc.. you need from this disc. Now Stop! Next click on the "View" pull down list and select "Region". Then select the new CD region that you want to pull maps off of. The computer should prompt you to put that CD into the drive. Don't click the OK button until you have put the correct CD into the drive. Once you hit OK, you can install maps, waypoints, etc.. off the new CD. Continue this til you have all the maps you want and then click the "Download to GPS" button. WHEW! Let me know if you have any problems or if my instructions suck. <br /><br />The Rat. :)

Fritz-X

Recruit

Originally posted by ThomWV:<br />I was pretty sure you'd get the right answer after a while, and of course you have, but not with much explaination.<br /><br />SNIP...<br />So what you have to do is find a way to move the map segments from the disk(s) to some temporary holding folder until you have the stack of them you want and then moving that entire block into the GPS at one time. I have not found a way to do it, but I haven't tried very hard.<br />...SNIP<br />Thom
Thom,<br /><br />Mapsourse does this for you. It will hold selected maps from one CD in memory, while you insert the next CD and begin selecting additional maps. If you look at the "map tab" in the window along the left side on the screen, it will list all maps selected and will show you the total number of maps selected and memory requirement at the bottom left. As you correctly stated, the transfer cannot be done until all maps have been selected, as a transfer will delete everything (other than the base map)in the GPS memory.<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br />Fritz