whats the best motor?

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: whats the best motor?

Have to agree with Rick also.Gotta love those Johnson/Evinrudes.I had a 1975 Johnson 70.Best motor I ever run.Never let me down.... I like my 225 OceanRunner too. :)

saylor

Cadet

That force thing is pretty good!!!!!!!!! but ,has bombardier prooved their self yet. I've already seen 2 225hp blow.

ob

Admiral

I'm going with old Sloopy on this one.John/Rude or Yamaha.Both have a good reputation for reliability on the Texas gulf coast.

fishinhole

Seaman Apprentice

BOTH EXCELLENT MOTORS, BUT AFTER WORKING ON ALL BRANDS FOR MANY YEARS, AND KNOWING A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THEM, ALSO BEING A PROUD OWNER OF JOHNYRUDES, I WOULD BET MY LIFE ON BOMBARDIER WHEN I'M 10 TO 15 MILES OUT ON LAKE MICHIGAN

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yesterday I sold Mercury number three, a 1991 175 black max 2.5 liter ran the same plugs the entire season, and like it's two predecesors never an internal failure, only things that were changed on this motor were the lower unit oil seals, impellers, fuel pump diaphrams, carb kits, <br />If I could go out and buy an new carburated 2 stroke tommorow it would say fon du lac all over it<br />and have a black cowling<br /><br />I love new technology, but have the opinion that two stroke outboards were meant to be dirty running,................ not EPA freindly<br /><br />As for Yamahas and Johnny rudes, I have an aquaintance with a new yamaha 250 hpdi, the boat has 300 hours use since new. he's on power head number three, and no longer boasting. as for Johnson/ Evinrude The only people I hear of giving them a positive nodd are guys who are upside down in new boats that happpen have them hanging off the transom. Type "Johnson or Evinrude problems" into a search engine sometime, the results tell the painfully true story

Trevor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If buying a new smoky go yamay BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE HPDI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it likes to eat power heads just like all other direct injection engines.