12Volt vs. 24Volt

llawrenc

Recruit
I am replacing the 12V 43lb. motor guide on my 18' aluminum bassboat. The 43lb.is efficient if the water is calm, but on semi-rough days, its a battle in 5th speed to try to hang in. I am looking at Motor Guide's 54lb. 12 volt motor. This appears to be max. in a 12V. Will going this large in 12V. severely shorten run time off a 12V battery? I know to jump up to 24V. would probably be the way to go, but to make room for another battery would be a problem. Plus, I don't want to replace 2 deep cycle batteries every 3 or 4 years instead of one. Any thoughts?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: 12Volt vs. 24Volt

You will probably not notice much if any difference between the two motors. The 54# will draw a little more (about 120 watts more), and will give you no more speed. 24 Volt motors are definitely more efficient and easier on the batteries. Get a motor with a pulse modulator (i.e. variable speed), if you want to maximize your battery life. Another option, if you go with the 12 volt motor, is to get two batteries and wire them in parallel. This way the motor only draws half of its amperage from each battery and you will notice about 30% better efficiency over using one battery at a time. I would only upgrade to the bigger motor if it has the pulse modulation technology. <br /><br />BTW are these transom mount motors you're talking about? If so, look into a bow mount motor, much better control in the wind.<br /><br />Good luck.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

As Rat said get one with the pluse circuits. At max speed will draw more current but at lower setting may do same with less battery load. I would not go parallel, if you decide to use two batteries I would go serries.<br /><br />You may want to do a little checking before you buy. Some motors can run at 12 or 24 volts and is a simple switch. Get one of these and if the 12 volts does not work out for you then you can still convert to 24 volts later.

b_carione

Cadet

Drowned Rat,<br /> can you draw a schematic of wiring the batteries in series and in parallel. I am not sure which is which.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

untitled.jpg

llawrenc

Recruit

Next question. Will I gain that much POWER from a 54 lb. over a 43 lb. bow mount 12 V. motor? I have owned 2 or 3 Power Guide's and have had good luck. But I have been reading alot of good stuff about Minn Kotas. I guess I really like the quick detaching system on the Power Guide mounts. Thoughts?

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi Lawrence. First of all, do not hook up your 12 volt motor to 2 batts. in series. That's putting 24 volts to a 12 volt motor. It might run for a little while but then..... If you continue to run the 12 volt motor either run one batt. or 2 batts. in parallel. RB's diagram is correct except you also need to connect the two negative posts as well. You will notice little or no difference between the 43# and the 54#. As far as Minn Kota goes, YES! it is a much better motor. More efficient, can take a beating much better than the MG's. They make a 55# pulse modulated "Maxxum" that I would look into. Best 12 volt motor out there for fresh water. Otherwise look into their Riptide models for salt water. <br /><br />Good Luck.

llawrenc

Recruit

Drowned Rat;<br />I'm running 12V. from only one battery. My 43 lb. MG just doesn't get the job done if the water is rough at all. I'm looking at the most economical way of upgrading to get me efficient trolling power. Is the 55# 12V. Maxxum a stronger motor than the 54# MG or just more battery efficient due to variable speed? Would the 55# All Terrain be as strong as the Maxxum, but with less run time per charge due to not being variable speed, cause it cost a whole lot less.

Drowned Rat

Captain

The two motors should provide very comparable power and thrust. But, I don't think you will notice any difference from the motor you have now in the wind and heavy chop. You really need a small outboard in those conditions.

ebbtide176

Commander

llawrenc, if you are running into the situation very often that requires max thrust due to wind with that TM, then you probably want to think real hard about going to 24v with alot more thrust.<br /><br />what area are you fishing? large river, great lakes? the only reason i ask, is because the areas i fish have 20+ winds sometimes, and requires max thrust, but not on a typical fishing day. but most guys who fish in brutal weather alot, or on some big heavy flowing rivers all run 24 or 36v TM's. just my 2c :)