Putting in new stringers. Should I put in foam?

Homerr

Commander
So I'm gutting the boat out. I haven't seen any floatation foam like the stuff I installed while building Marlin boats.<br /><br />Should I put some in while I'm down there?<br /><br />Do I even need it?<br /><br />H.

crab bait

Captain
Re: Putting in new stringers. Should I put in foam?

the uscg says all monohull powerboats less than 20 foot must have level floatation..

Homerr

Commander

Thanks Bait,<br /><br />Mine is 26ft., so I guess I'm OK.<br /><br />H.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i would check with the manufacturer. if it was there & previous owner removed it & if u don't replace it, if something happens your ins. co. will have a field day denying your claim.

Homerr

Commander

I haven't found an ounce of foam anywhre as of yet.<br /><br />H.

SCO

Lieutenant

Crab bait, are those uscg requirements for manufactured boats or any old boat that uses the waterways? Is there any grandfathering or is it like a life vest requirement? I didn't replace the floatation in mine but will if that is what the law says.

crab bait

Captain

that's ANY BOAT built since 1972 ? under 20 ft ... there is an exception.. a commercial work boat.. not sold to the public..

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know in oregon, after a certain date the boat has to be able to float upright yadda yadda... But when I was at the boat shop looking the other day, the guy said you could take out the foam after you bought it... just has to be sold with it... I realize this probably does nothign to answer your questions, but I wanted to feel special and contribute to your post.

Homerr

Commander

Yea, Oregon has some really strange laws.<br /><br />Seems like they really don't care once it's yours! Guess that could be good or bad.<br />For the most part, big brother leaves us alone here.<br /><br />Of course that may change now that the government gave the FBI more control.<br /><br />Careful what you type in the forums now! They're watching!<br /><br />Thanks for the input.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Tell ya what Homerr, I wouldn't try to pour foam in because your gonna wind up with a great big sponge. I've pointed this out once or twice before but the mixing ratio of part "A" and part "B" is critical. If the ratio is 1:1, it MUST be dead-nuts 1:1 and it's not forgiving. Witness some of the older boats around that weigh a ton or so. They're full of water that won't come out.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty